Why do people equal "Lables" with "Negative"?

We are all made up of little parts...

I am BiSexual, I am a Mother, a Wife, a Woman, a "Feminist," a Pagan, an Activist...

None of those things make up who I am by themselves, they are each just parts. I have never been one that found a need to shy away from labels, they are, to me, what makes me different from you, AND what makes me the same as you... As humans it's our differences with make us the same. Labels aren't bad things, or at least they don't have to be.

My question is though, why do people act as if you are applying something negative when you apply a "label?" Those labels are what make us different, what make us stand out from each other and what make us all equal - all at the same time...

What are your thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Why did you feel the need to put feminist in quotation marks and nothing else?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't think labels in themselves are bad, but when others use a label to discriminate against you, then it is a problem.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I never really thought of it in that perspective before. When I thought about labeling, I always remember my parents' view. If you the child acts bad, hyper, etc.. He was labeled as a "bad" child. It would be, "well, if something happened, it must be so and so because he's the "bad" one. Or, "you know you can't do math, or take tests, because you always fail". I always knew I didn't want my child labeled like that. Every person has his or her own moods, etc. Somehow, I guess that's what I always thought about labeling.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Labels can be over generalizations and they can carry negative associations with them. Most people don't want to be put into a slot or a category is my guess.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think it's because labels are often used by people to reduce someone to that particular standard and to make assumptions about their character, behavior, personality, etc. based on their perception OF that label.

geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 3:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Because most people don't use labeling to point out an individual's positive points. More often than not, labels are applied in regards to a negative attribute.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I am trying to teach my son to know his worth and not be bother by labels. I want him to use words to express him but not define him .
    Labels in my opinion are something that people do to separate people in a negative way but I really do not know where it comes from . I just know that I have tried to take the negative ones out of my life.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 3:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i wonder if at some point in the past people felt as though they were not "unique" enough, and then there was a push to express your individuality? maybe people felt as though they lost themselves in their labels?
    i don't have a problem with labels either.
    i take comfort in associating myself with others.
    no man is an island you know ; )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think it is because most people use them in a negative manner. I don't see the big deal either.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2010