• In the Spotlight:

rocking my 4 month old to sleep every night!!!!!!help

I've been rocking my 4 month old to sleep every night and also before every nap during the day. This all started when he was 3 weeks old because he suffers with acid refulx and anything to comfort him through his pain I would do...but now that he is getting older and on baby food the acid reflux has gotten better but we are still rocking him to sleep every night. Any Ideas on how to break this or should I even worry yet...he is only 4 months right??? (btw first time mom lol)

luvsgriffin

Asked by luvsgriffin at 10:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow,
    For babies grow up, I've learned, to my sorrow.
    So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.
    (Ruth Hulburt Hamilton)

Because you know what I am going to say... Enjoy it. They don't want you to rock them anymore when they become teenagers!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i would rock my son to sleep everynight...others thing that put him out was car rides,the swing and i would lye him on his belly on the couch and pat his butt...hes now 16mnths old and im still lying him on me to go to sleep once hes out i put him in his crib with the risk of waking him up and being awake for hours at a time if i could go back i would still rock him but once he begins to doze off id put him in his crib...GL
    justinsmommie09

Answer by justinsmommie09 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My daughters had acid reflux as well. With my first daughter when she could roll herself I propped a flat pillow under her fitted sheet.Now with my second daughter she felt she had to be held,so I did.LOL
    cece122704

Answer by cece122704 at 10:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I'd rock. Before you know it he won't want you to anymore. ;) Besides, 4 months is MUCH too young to be spoiled. He still needs you.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 10:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i asked my Ped about this.. and read the same advice in a book, that you should stop rocking before 6 months, because at this point 4-6 months, the part of their brain that remembers stuff, is getting into high gear.. like bottles, if you feed your baby and then put them to sleep, they will form that habit and want a bottle more likely at night and to sleep with... being a first time mom myself, i havent had to deal with this yet, but as a long time nanny i always seemed to be the one to handle the issues that parents i worked for started. It takes time, i mean, for me, rocking my son is wonderful, its relaxing for both of us, but he doesnt need it to sleep, anyhow im babbling. a great book i found, and we still use it, baby411
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I just started this routine at night time with my 6 month old. 7:15 bath time. 7:30 bottle in the living room. 7:40ish go to nursery and listen to 1 song on our lullabye CD while we rock, and then into the crib awake after the song is over. She has been doing great with it. I know not all mommies have that luck, but maybe it will work for you.

I had been feeding and rocking my little one to sleep since birth, and I didn't know that there was an alternative. Now, nightime is much faster and more pleasant for me because I have more time with my husband after baby goes down. Good luck!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 8:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Try the magic sleepsuit, it really helps babies sleep better and longer (www.magicsleepsuit.com).
    Anonymous

• Try the magicsleepsuit (www.magicsleepsuit.com). It helps calm the baby and helps them sleep better.
    Anonymous

• does the magic sleep suit really work????
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 10:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2008