How do you deal with a child that lies to get attention from anyone?

Me and my husband have custody of our 5yr old niece & 7yr old nephew and we also have 2 boys of our own. The 7yr old told us that he went to school and told his teacher that we are mean to him and we know it is to get attention.Now i feel like she belives him because hes a child.We are not mean to him we love him and it hurts us that he would tell someone that lie and make people think we are terrible parents. Hes done this before and we have talked to him about lieing now we do not know what to do.Can anyone give me some advice? Please!!!!!

bamamom4891

Asked by bamamom4891 at 10:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How long have you had custody?? You know, I'm sure it's difficult for him. It sounds like to me, that he's not getting the attention he needs from you guys. (That's not to say you aren't doing a good job, I'm sure it's difficult for you as well.) but this little guy may be feeling rejected from his own parents, and uncomfortable with you.
    Set aside time just for him. Spending quality time with him, getting to know him, and showing him that he does indeed belong with you, and is loved, could curb this and further behavior problems. If that doesn't work, possibly starting therapy could be beneficial for him.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 10:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I agree with mrseum...and will add to just state when He is "using his imagination" that he needs to write that down "cause that's a good one".  My mom died when I was six and I remember making things up to get "noticed". I didn't feel wanted and wasn't wanted ( I found out later, it was only for the money). Make sure I feels wanted before puberty rears its ugly head...trust me. An unhappy teenager is a very ugly thing.

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes I'm the one who ask the question we had him and his sister for almost 3yrs we do tell him we love him and spend time with him. so does this mean every time he gets in trouble at home for something he's going to tell someone a lie about us? He believes he should'nt get in trouble for anything.
    bamamom4891

Answer by bamamom4891 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I have to agree with the first answer maybe he needs some counseling. Maybe because he is the older sibling it has traumatized him more than you think. I am sure he loves you and appreciates it but maybe he just feels like you will give him up to or whatever the situation may be and is acting out.
    Anonymous