Is "under God" in the American Pledge of Allegiance appropriate?

I wasn't sure what to call this....religious or political.....lol

Conley639

Asked by Conley639 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes!!! We are a Nation under GOD!! We should be Thanking and Praising God!!! not taking him out of things.... Look around we are a blessed nation...<<< People you choose your own paths/ make your own choices... Don't blame God for the results you get!!>>>
    LuLuMama_4Jesus

Answer by LuLuMama_4Jesus at 5:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I also strongly agree with this quote from the ACLU:

"The government should not be asking impressionable schoolchildren to affirm their allegiance to God at the same time that they are affirming their allegiance to the country...

Removing ‘under God’ from the Pledge is not anti-religious [...] just the opposite is true. The only way the religious reference in the Pledge can be upheld is for the Court to conclude that the words ‘under God’ have no religious meaning, which is far more insulting to people of faith."
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Absolutely not. It wasn't written that way and was added, against the wishes of the authors family, to seperate us from the godless commies during the 50's. The original text is much more inclusive.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Absolutely NOT. Look at the original version by the author.

http://www.ushistory.org/documents/pledge.htm

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Of course it is!
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't think it belongs, personally, and I think the pledge is more inclusive without it. You can't deny that it has to be awkward for an atheist to say the pledge of allegiance. The point of separating government and religion is so that all can feel patriotic and a part of the civic community without their choice of religion or lack thereof playing a roll.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It is very appropriate.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Because history was messed with against the will of the authors family. It was written by a Socialist, Baptist (defrocked) Minister who didn't feel the need to mention any god. It was added in a push by the Knights of Columbus(Christians). I suppose that could be any god but there are lot's of people who don't believe in any god at all but I realize they are not important in this country. If he had written it with 'under God' I would be more accepting.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't think it should be in it, and it wasn't even originally there. It was written in 1892 by Francis Bellamy, a Socialist and a Baptist minister, and it originally read: "I Pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands; one nation indivisible, with liberty and Justice for all." Later "the flag of the United States of America" replaced 'my flag'. The Pledge was officially endorsed by the gov't in 1942, Eisenhower signed an act in 1954 which added the words 'under God' to the text. I think the original version was more inclusive for those who are not religious and for those who are religious but not monotheistic. I also think the original was generally better for separation of church and state.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My personal view.

No. Simply due to the fact that it is not in the original wording of the pledge. It was added in the 50's to help "combat" communist ideology from taking hold in the States. It was not added for religious reasons, or moral reasons, it was added for political reasons only.

With that said. I could care less one way or the other if it's there or not. I just think it's ridiculous to add things to something like the Pledge for political reasons and then decry that it has to stay for religious/moral reasons. Which 'Under God" falls under most people's religious/moral ideals than it does their political ones.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010