If my end objective is to become a social worker...

And in university I will study for a Masters in Social Work but my community college doesn't have an AA degree for social work then what do I say I am going for my AA in? General studies? Liberal Arts? Do I just tell everyone what my major is which is social/behavioral science? Please explain.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• You do get an associate's degree, on the way to earning your bachelors degree. If you want to work in the field of social work, you could stop with a bachelors degree in social work. If you want to be a licensed social worker, you then go on to your Master's program.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 4:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Counseling or Human Resources...something that will add to the Social Work degree.
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 3:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• What is the associates that will be awarded? usually it's a liberal arts degree. Most states, counseling is a minimum of a Master's degree, with licensure and experience, it's certainly not an associates program. Choose what your associate's program actually is, and that will be your response
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm assuming AA is associates degree?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Im in the same boat.. My school told me to do Liberal Arts... however, im not very comfortable w/ that because Liberal Arts is the least degree to get jobs in everyone around here says.. and i feel like liberal arts, acting, art, theater, and all that is def. NOT my social work! So if i say liberal arts, everyone thinks i took the easy way out!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 3:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Exactly mohme2three. Guess we'll have to deal with it to reach our goals. Good luck!!
    And yes alice, I know I will transfer to a 4 yr for my Masters. No problem there. I just don't like that my AA is for Liberal Arts.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• check the requirements of the masters program, many require a bachelors degree and won't accept an associates
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• yep.. ours just falls under something that leaves more explaining than simply saying our degree (: good luck to you too!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 3:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You don't get an associates degree first you get a bachelors in social work and then you move on to get your masters. If you're starting off at a community college that doesn't offer bachelor degrees then you need to take your classes in all the courses you can that will transfer over to the university.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• So an AA in Liberal Arts, correct, Gaccck?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2010