Would you ask somebody not to smoke in his/ her own home? How? (short but polite)

As a physical therapist I mostly do house calls. It happens every now and again that during the treatment the patient's partner (or other family members) are present and smoking.
I don't smoke myself and deal with astma. It's never been so bad, that I couldn't take it. I just find it very unpleasant and the smell and taste (and sometimes the headache) follows me throughout the day. Any idea what I could say. Should I at all? Or should I just shut up and hope for the 30 minutes to be over soon? I really don't know.
If I ever come across a situation that would be contra productive to the treatment (you don't go to the gym to inhale dirty air while exercising either) I would definately want to say something .... but even then ... How?
Who can help?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Just asked them if while you are there if they could not smoke in the house because you have asthma and it makes you sick.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Just start out by saying that you know this is their house and you feel bad asking them not to do something in your own house, but would appreciate it if they refrain from doing so while the therapy is going on.

Answer by older at 3:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Tell the patient u r allergic to it and u cannot be around it because u do have asthma. I do home visits and all my patients know not to smoke while I am there. I just told them I am very sensitive to it and I would appreciate it if u did not smoke while I am here.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You can try phrasing it in such a way that it would be bad for the patient - "This excercise is rather strenuous for Joe and he needs all the help he can get. Would you mind smoking in the other room?" I think this is the most you could ask for because after all, it is their house.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• yes, I sure would ask them to step outside or into another room
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• yes explain politly i think most people would step outside
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 4:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• asthmatics can suffer from it even if it is in another room.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Just apologize and ask. "I'm so sorry but would you mind smoking outside? I have asthma." You could make up some little thing about how you don't have your inhaler with you or something. You might even consider having it put in the contract, something like "For the health and safety of our PT and our patients it is requested that you or any household member refrain from smoking during the session (there should be one)
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 5:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Also explain why....

Answer by older at 4:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• That is a hard one since I suffer from the same thing. I won't go into someones home that is smoking. But I guess you could just say I really like working with you but I am having a problem that I wonder if you could help me out with. You see I have asthma and I really need to breathe while I am here I was wondering if we could work out something while I'm here with no smoking in the room. I realize this is hard to ask so I haven't brought it up before at the end of mytime here I am not feeling too well.See if something like that you could do.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2010