MY dog is destroying my house....

Okay i have this adorable puppy who is now 5 months old...i cannot leave her alone ...i have to take her everywhere i go...if i do not take her i come back to a destroyed home...then i take her outside b4 bed and still wake up to messes in the house along with box's ate or whatever she can get into...i love her to death but she's stressen me out...the last owner had a cage for her when he left to go places ...she ate her way out the back of the cage...what can i do with my puppy...to make her stop!!!

gracelessstar21

Asked by gracelessstar21 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Pets

• Good news is that this destruction is relatively normal for a 5 month rott. You can't trust them out of a crate...sure you got that by now! So, what you need is a good wire crate, possibly reinforced with zip ties. Take a big hollow bone, fill it with peanut butter and tie it to the back bottom bar of the cage. See if that will keep her busy. I am assuming she ate her way out of a vari kennel, or plastic crate. You absolutely need the cage.

Bad news..although some teeth are in, her molars come in around one year of age which will start the chewing up ALL over again. That means she needs strict supervision/ confinement for at least 12 months of age and maybe longer.

If you have major separation or confinement issues, you will need a behaviorist.

I would recommend a good quality dog training school. Teaching her how to respond to directions and be more confident through obedience exercises is always helpful.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Buy yourself a kennel and put her in there when you leave, and it is even used as a potty training tool also.

Answer by older at 4:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Crate training will help solve this problem. It helps housebreak them faster and keeps them from destroying the house
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• what kind of dog is she? and just remember puppies always get into things you got to train her not to chew my dog is a lab/shepard mix and hes 2 yr old n still chews things but when he does i put him what i call a doggie time out for a few minutes and when we leave the house he knows better not to destroy anytrhing or its time out for him i hoped i helped you good luck or the other thing is you can do is bring him to a trainrer.
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Have you tried the sprays that keep your pet from chewing on items? we have 3 dogs and this seems to work for us - there are still occasions when they become bored and mischievious. We take them out everyday and let them run & play off as much "excess energy" as possible- if you can't take him out , then b/4 bed , play with him until he gets tired. We do have a kennel that works great for short periods of time and don't want to leave them out in the house.At one point when they were puppies we had a gate that isolated them to a certain area while we were away.It worked as well as the kennel .
    grandma1951

Answer by grandma1951 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Sounds like you let her have run of the house, and you should really contain her. Either put her in a crate whenever you leave, or at least restrict her to some area where she can't do too much damage, like a kitchen or a garage or something. My dog was horrible when he was a puppy, he had major separation anxiety. As for the messes, at night try putting her in a small area, and put down puppy pads. Also, to cut back on the chewing, get her a Kong ball and put some treats inside, it'll keep her occupied for hours.

I actually ended up getting another dog, so my first dog wouldn't be alone all day, and they're wonderful together. I've had them for 8 years now :)
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I crate trained our dog. We have a Yorkie. I also put him in there when we leave the house. It worked really well for house training too. He hasn't had an accident in the house in a long time.
    mindi6103

Answer by mindi6103 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• ..........♥ thanks for the tips..she is really driving me crazy i love her to death but between her messes and the kids im about to start pulling my hair out...lol...she is a rott...
    gracelessstar21

Comment by gracelessstar21 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• ..♥thanks sooo much for the great tips ladies...last night she slept in my daughters room with her and i blocked off the living room area and kitchen area..and closed other bathroom doors ect...she could only get into my dd room(she insisted she sleep with her)lol.. and hallway area...I WOKE UP TO NOOOO MESSES...i was sooo happy..my dd said she prayed last night for our (bella) not to destroy mommies house and she woke up and was sooo happy that (bella) was good...it was truly adorable coming from my dd...thanks again ladies and i am investing in a good crate this week......♥
    gracelessstar21

Comment by gracelessstar21 (original poster) at 8:23 AM on Nov. 18, 2010