on the go lunches while preggo?

My pregnancy brain is having a hard time figuring out what to pack for lunches. I started babysitting this week, and while they said I can help myself, I only had a few snacks. I feel silly rummaging through their fridge. (I don't know them well yet.) If I was the one making the kiddos lunches, it might be different, but mom makes them ahead of time.
I don't really want to do freezer meals, because those can get pricy. And lunchmeat sandwiches are out. What does that leave, salad? lol. Today I took an apple, granola bar,and nutra grain bar. lol. That's not great. Leftovers, we rarely have them, and if we do I leave them for hubby, of he'll just eat ramen.

mrseum

Asked by mrseum at 10:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Well I personally would make extra for left overs so you both have enough to eat the next day for lunch...You know you were able to handle it at least the night before and that it will get eaten. It may seem strange to make so much for leftovers but think of how much you'll save...Oh and let your husband know that half of the leftovers are for YOUR lunch as well so he doesnt just go eat it all (so something mine would do lol)
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 11:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• tuna is good in moderation. fresh fruit and veggies, yogurt are good and you get what you need. salads are good, you take heat up the lunch meat in the microwave and eat it or make the sandwich "grilled", as long as the meat is heated up (steaming) it's ok to eat it. i would try to make extras at supper and take the leftovers. you can make a big pot of spaghetti sauce and freeze it in zippy bags in serving sized portions, then you just have to boil some noodles and warm the sauce up. i would buy a few of the frozen meals, the banquets and michalena's are only a dollar or so.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• you can also bring the stuff to make a grilled cheese sandwich and a can of soup. i know when i was pregnant i didn't want a full meal most of the time, but small snacks all day. that's perfectly fine as well, just make sure that your snacks cover the food groups. since you're at their house you can always just put the ingredients for a small meal in a bag and prepare it there. if they've told you to help yourself, i'm sure they won't mind if you cook yourself something using food you've brought (just don't stick them with a sink full of dirty dishes!)

and we've solved the problem of SO trying to eat all the leftovers. i bought some of the bowls that have the sections in them and i'll divide the leftovers up between two of the bowls. he has his and i have mine.
    Tarable525

• Eating well is a good priority, so glad your are putting your health first! The women who eat 100 grams of protein everyday are the ones who avoid toxic shock syndrome. I would suggest protein at every meal. Eggs are so easy, cheap, portable if boiled, and versatile. Plain yogurt mixed w/ fresh fruit. Apples and cheese cubes. chicken on a fresh salad. baked potato w/ fixins. pb and j on whole wheat.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 10:24 AM on Nov. 4, 2008