What is the CafeMom Encyclopedia?

What are the risks of a c-section?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 4:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I know infection is a big one.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The same risks as any other major surgery, which is what it is, mainly infection and sometimes hemorrhage

look it up.

Answer by older at 4:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Most of the risks are the same as with any major surgery. Increased risk of infection, side effects of anesthesia, a longer recuperative time just to name a few.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Blood loss, infection, problems with patient during the procedure (drop in blood pressure, heart rate, respiration, etc). That's as far as the mother is concerned.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I had c-section. I got fluid on the lung.
    With all surgery there are risk.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• For Mom, the risks include infection of the incision and/or uterus, hemorrhage (heavy bleeding, which can be fatal), bad reactions to anesthesia (which can also be fatal, particularly if the surgery is done under general anesthesia), increased risk of post partum depression, delayed milk, and numerous breastfeeding issues.
    For Baby, the risks include lung infections (vaginal birth squeezes all the fluid and "gunk" out of the baby's lungs during delivery, and this can't be done if the baby doesn't pass through the birth canal), respiratory problems associated with underdeveloped lungs (if the baby is removed prior to Mom going into labor), reduced alertness (due to drugs given to Mom), difficulty latching to the breast, and reduced interest in the breast.
    I am sure there are more. Unnecessary c-sections are a big part of the reason the United States has the highest infant mortality rate in the developed world.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• just for your info, I've had 3, no major problems for me or baby. I did have some hemmorraging but you know, before DEATH! they would most likely take your uterus and everything would be okay. That would be hard if it wasnt your last BUT its only a 1% chance. If you need it you need it, vaginal birth isnt a piece of cake for all women.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I have not had a c-section but I saw a lot of people saying hemorrhaging is a big risk. The fact is that hemorrhaging is a big risk in vaginal delivery too. I have a friend that hemorrhaged 6 days after vaginal delivery at home and had to have a blood transfusion. I know that with a c-section they need empty your bladder because my sil didn't and they cut her bladder and she had to have a transfusion.
    Candie2008

Answer by Candie2008 at 11:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Blood loss is on average twice that of a vaginal birth. Infection is also a concern for the incision and the organs nearby. Reactions to general anesthesia. Decreased bowel function over the following couple of days. Longer stay in the hospital.

Babies have higher risk for persistent pulmonary hypertension. The fluids left within the baby after not being squeezed out of the birth canal are possibly the cause of some common health ailments in the children right after birth or later in life. Some research has also indicated that the odds of neonatal death is higher in a planned c-section than with a vaginal birth.

Breastfeeding is often more challenging as it's rare that the new family actually get to spend that magical hour together after they are born (when they are most awake and instinctual). i do think that this cheats the mother and baby of something essential.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/lungs/ttn.html
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 9:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• For many women, healing time is longer with c-sections. You risk being unable to do things that you normally could do. Also, as a new mommy healing from a c-section, it was hard for me to carry my baby or even to nurse sometimes because if I stepped funny, or didn't hold LO right, I'd be in pain. I almost dropped my LO several times as I stumbled during night feedings because he'd accidentally kick my incision site.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 1:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010