My son is really hurting my feelings...is this okay?

my son is 5 and he thinks the world of his daddy...which i think is great i love that he feels that way...BUT....it gets to the point where he doesn't want me unless he is bleeding from a ouchie or something like that...he will go on and on about his daddy non stop...but (mommy) doesn't count..thow i do it all for everyone here in this house...lol..i think my son acts this way due to his daddy being gone for a short time and maybe he's scared he will have to leave again..(which that is not happening again)...my feeling kinda get hurt when he's going on and on about his daddy weither it be at school or where ever..i just feel left out...am i making too much out of this or am i just being to sensitive?

gracelessstar21

Asked by gracelessstar21 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hang in there, it'll pass.
    I had a period when my dd was younger that I felt like I give and give and give until my dd and dh sucked the life out of me. (They didn't, but that's how it felt.) Kids want what they want and they want it NOW! At 5 years of age nobody cares how much effort mommy makes to keep everything going. The whole world is a playground and it's only there for your pleasure. lol
    There'll be times when "mommy is the best" again. Try to take pride in making happiness possible for him. But you might want to get used to male bonding. He's a boy and dad is his hero! ... I've got a little dd and we do ... girly things ... Dad doesn't feel left out. It's just the way it is.
    Good luck!
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Being a mom is a thankless job! My boys hurt me like that too sometimes. All my husband does is play video games with them but that's enough to make him a super star in their eyes. Forget mommy who feeds, plays with, cleans up after, does homework with etc. At least I can say it gets better with age. My 14 yr old is stuck to me like glue, so at least I have the admiration of 1 out of 3.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I see, so you've been spoiled with attention by your other kids. lol
    You need to be needed? Don't worry ... he NEEDS YOU, believe me.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• When my DD is in a mommy phase I try to talk up Daddy a little bit. I just try to work it in about how Daddy did this or that for us, or how I love Daddy so much and he loves her, etc. Maybe your DH can talk you up a little bit. But as everyone said, he definitely loves and needs you, and you are totally normal to feel a little hurt. As much as we remind ourselves that they are kids and they don't mean to hurt us or have the perspective to understand everything the way we do, no one wants to be told "no, I don't want you." At least with kids we can rest assured that one phase will give way to another in time- and then we have a new challenge to deal with. Never a dull moment! :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Daddy is Superman right now and that's fine. Every little boy should look up to his daddy. But think about what you said - he doesn't want me unless he is bleeding from a ouchie or something like that - Mommy is the one he comes to for comfort and safety. It may not be the most glamorous job, but Mommy is just as important to him!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Don't worry! I know how you feel but i'm sure it is just a phase. Just be grateful that your son has a father that he loves so much.
    And the first poster you're an idiot!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• He does not love his dad more then you. He does not know he is making you feel bad by talking about his dad so much. He does live you. I think it is a boy thing.

Answer by louise2 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• meant love you

Answer by louise2 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• hi..dont worry nothing in this world that can change you as her mom...be happy that he is close to his dad and be proud of him...your still his mom no matter what
    neng999

Answer by neng999 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I am sure you are the one inflicting the rules and punishment. So like so many said. Try not to take it to heart.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010