In a relationship where spouse threatens suicide if she leaves...

What should she do.??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• Leave... its a control mechanism. I had an ex do the same but he loved himself too much to follow through... as most of the idiots like that do.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• She should leave.... Because that's just emotional blackmail. Been there, done that. Honestly, what your spouse does is NOT your responsibility, and you shouldn't stay in a situation just because you're afraid he's going to do something like that. In my situation, my ex-husband threatened suicide. I called his mother, told her to come over, and left. He never tried, it was just his way of trying to control me.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• If suicide is a real concern, report it to the authorities. They are bound by law to respond and assess the situation. Don't buy into any generalizations about if you think he'll do it or not based on what someone else did - if you're wrong, you'll have one hell of a thing to live with from that day forward.

But regarding the relationship? Get out. This is manipulation, pure and simple. Get out. This isn't healthy.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 4:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Well, I actually had that happen. I told him it was over so he swallowed 2 or 3 (I forget) bottles of psych meds in front of me. He passed out within seconds, I called 911, he was in ICU for days, stomach pumped etc.
    It was pathetic.
    If she is truly worried about him really killing himself then she can tell his close family to keep an eye on him and she should still leave.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Bjojola has it right.... 100%!! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• What value is a relationship that is only based on one person staying so the other doesn't kill his/herself? Where could this possibly lead that is positive? Can you imagine staying for 40 years to prevent a suicide?
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 5:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Take the guy to a therapist.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm sorry you're going through this, my ex did this and when i did kick him out he did try and commit suicide, I had to call the cops, he was commited for 3 days. But while he was in the mental hospital he realized that he has to keep living for his son and eventually for himself, GL
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2010