how can i get my 4 year old daughter to listen to me?

snowangel87

Asked by snowangel87 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am waiting to see the answers, lol,, I have a 5 year old, we have good listening days, and not so good,,, can't wait to see!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Make sure you have eye contact. Tell her to look into your eyes. Have rules and stick to them. It's crucial to be consistent. Have her be your helper when things need to get done and she is resisting, like picking up her toys. Make sure she is praised whan she does things right and gets one on one time with you and your SO. Know what her "currency" is. That is the most imporatant thing or activity to her. Withhold that thing for an appropriate length of time when she does not listen. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• eye contact, stern voice, and stick to your guns... don't let her get away with not listening once, then expect her to listen the next time.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I always give my 4 yr old a swat and then sit to where we are eye level and tell how she will listen, without getting mean about, the swat is just to get her attention
    houshyzoe

Answer by houshyzoe at 8:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Lots of patience. I'm still working on it with her.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Still working on that with my 3 1/2 year old o.O She spends more time in "punishment" than she does playing at this point. I feel awful about it but she's a stubborn little turd.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 4:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i make sure my daughter is looking at me and then i ask her to repeat what i said. that tends to work.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 11:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010