at what age would be okay to leave a kid home alone for 5 minutes

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 4:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• If I am just running to the neighbor's for five minutes, I feel okay leaving my 8 yr old. She is very mature, though. I would feel uncomfortable leaving my 10 yr old nephew alone for the same length of time. I think it depends on the kid. You know your child best. If you are unsure, start out slow. Leave them alone while you run to the mailbox, next to the neighbor's, next for a walk to the corner... or whatever. And you could arrange for your neighbor to check on them if it is going to be longer. Or for your neighbor to watch them...
    questioningcleo

Answer by questioningcleo at 4:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• For a child younger than 10 or 11 I wouldn't. You never know what could happen to turn that 5 minutes into a half hour or longer.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Not sure in this day and age it ever is lol but I was 9.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 4:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• depends on the maturity of the child but I think 11..maybe younger if you will be close by (like at the neighbors).
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• That depends on so many factors. Where do you live, where are you going, how well-behaved is the child, how mature is the child, etc... I've run to the neighbors to borrow a cup of milk. I've walked down the drive to get the mail (long drive, down and back is 5 minutes). Certainly I've showered and left her unsupervised for a period of time. Under the right circumstances, it's doesn't have to be all that problematic.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My kids are grown now, but they was teens when they was left alone.
    There is an age, but I not sure of the age
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think there might be an age requirement. http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-kids-age-limits.htm
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Where are you going? Outside, across the street, to the gas station??? I was left alone from the time I was about... 7, my son IS 7 and I wouldn't leave him. I would leave him when I knew he wouldn't burn the house down or do something he knows he shouldn't.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Depends on where you're going. If you're running next door to switch the laundry I don't see much of an issue but if your running across the street I'd say 7 or 8.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• However if you have a baby monitor that can reach that far that might be something to consider.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2010