When did your child first get eczema, is it hereditary(sp)?

I was 5 years old when I first got it, It has rarely been controlled and is at some times very bad.
Last night at bathtime I noticed a small patch on my 8 month olds back and am wondering if it might be...
And I'm just now reading that it might be linked to diet...

LadyofIvory

Asked by LadyofIvory at 4:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son developed it around 6 months. My grandson seems to have had it since birth.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My DD's started at 2 1/2 months. I think it was from what I was eating while nursing but didn't realize this at the time. Anyway, now that she is 2 and not nursing and I know about her food allergies, the eczema is pretty well under control as long as her skin doesn't get dry or she isn't exposed to something she is allergic to. We went thru a lot of Benadryl when it was bad, and used some streoid creams as sparingly as possible, and of course lots of skin moisturizing. If I had it to do over again I would have tried eliminating different things from my diet because I really believe it would have helped. Was there a new food recently introduced? A quick blood test can be done for food allergies, and some other things like cat/dogs, or you could just do trial and error. Oh, and my dad had eczema pretty bad as a kid and still has little bouts and I had a few minor incidents with it as a kid, too.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• my daughter started with cradle cap, and it never really went away. i noticed a breakout with lotion when she was a baby, so i quit using lotion...and soap! i have read that after the age of 2 skin sensitivities usually went away, but when dd was 2 she had her worst breakout ever. her skin reacts to coconut, which is in every soap, shampoo, detergent...
    we finally have it under control!
    have you recently changed any products that come into contact with your lo's back?
    dairy is a common trigger.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I didn't get it til was in my teens - washing too many dishes I think (I got it on my hands)! My daughter had it when she was younger, like 10. She's 22 now and doesn't have it at all anymore, but then again, she doesn't wash dishes like I used to! I don't know if it is heredity, but my sister and I and my daughter all have it. The boy lucked out and didn't get it.
    cheeseit

Answer by cheeseit at 4:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't have it my son got it first month, he had it really bad I used oil of olay soap instead of baby soaps and it helped
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 4:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Eczema can happen at anytime for a baby. I had it when I was 9 months, it got worse and worse, and then it got better over the years. My son has a mild case, atleast for now. From what I have researched it's hereditary. It typically passes on. But, theirs always the case where it misses the kid,because of the spouse.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• DD is 4.. she just started getting small patches on the bend of her arms, legs, cheek of rear-end at about 3.5yo..
    My MIL does have it pretty bad.. We are all hoping DDs never gets worse..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• DD's started showing early on, probably between 4-6 months. DH has it, as well as MY father. I believe it is both hereditary and spontaneous.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• yes it hederitary, also if any parent has asthma or hives it increase the chances, i have asthma and dd was diagnosed 2 1/2 mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• oh i forgot my is allergic to milkl and eggs and there has been studies that link milk to eczema, so if youi bf cut all dairy out, iof you formula feed make sure its not milk base.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2010