How do I get my boyfriend's overly picky 7 yr old to eat something other than pasta with butter?

She has no valid reasons for not liking things. She doesn't even like typical "kid" foods. I have tried everything. My daughter is willing to try so many new foods that I am unfamiliar with this behavior. I love his daughter but I am worried she is missing out on some great foods and maybe becoming unhealthy - she is very skinny. (her younger sister is only a few pounds under her weight and several inches shorter) I don't want to force her to eat when she isn't hungry but I was always taught that I had to at least try something before saying I didn't like it... Anyone else with a stubborn eater?

questioningcleo

Asked by questioningcleo at 4:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just what the others said. And you're exactly right - you have to try new foods in order to know if you really do like them or not. And, as taste buds are always changing, you really never know!
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 4:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Stop catering to her. She should eat what the rest of the family is eating. She'll eat when she's hungry. Right now, she's getting a lot of attention by not eating and having people cater to her demands. Do what your mom did and require her to have at least a bite of everything - she'll eat more when she's hungry.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My kids are required to eat what they're given. They have to at least try it. If they don't want to eat, they can wait until the next meal.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 4:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Cook one meal for the entire family to share. You're not a short order cook, dealing dishes on demand. Perhaps every 10 days have pasta for dinner--with sauce for those who want it, with butter for those who don't...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 5:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The majority here are absolutely right.
    jinxandjoy

Answer by jinxandjoy at 7:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Thank you. That was what I thought and felt to be right but since she isn't "mine" I was worried that I was being overly harsh or judgemental. I have taught my daughter as I was taught - at least try it. There is no harm in not liking something but you have to try it to know.
    questioningcleo

Comment by questioningcleo (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Get the Jessica Seinfeld book. That's great for sneaking good food in for kids. She was on tv yesterday showing how to hide good food in chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes which is what someone's little girl would only eat.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• She eats what you prepare for her or she doesn't eat, period. You don't make her a special meal to accomodate her pickiness. She won't starve.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You don't get her to eat things she doesn't want to try, that's her father's job.

What you CAN do though is simply make one meal and say, "Honey, I'm sorry you don't care for this, but this is what's for dinner. It's your choice to eat or not, but I'm not making anything else today." and let her choose. It appears she is getting a lot of attention for her choices, so to not make it an issue will back fire for her.

Also, my children are very picky eaters, but are growing out of it. My ds actually has been diagnosed with "Sensory defensiveness" which means he struggles with the senses (sound, touch, texture in foods, etc.). So, he seriously couldn't handle textures and my dd just followed her older brother's behavior, which was a battle in and of itself. Now that they're teens, they've expanded their horizons & actually eat fairly close to normal, even eating their curry chicken the other night.

It'll bet better...
    Sonnut

Answer by Sonnut at 7:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• When she gets hungry enough, she will eat with the rest of you.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2010