public defenders

I'm gonna need an attorney or public defender for my child,my question is are public defenders just as good as hired attorneys? Or do you pay a public defender

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Some public defenders can be very good. I always thought they did not get paid by the client but I do not know that for sure.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Do you financially qualify for a public defender?

In most cases, a PD is just as good and just as qualified as a "private" attorney.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• They may be just as good and just as qualified as a private attorney but they are also usually quite overworked and will not be able to give you the same amount of attention as an attorney that you hire.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 8:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Some are better than private attorneys. They just happen to work for people that can't afford expensive attorneys and they are paid by the state or by the client (sliding scale fees at times).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• In our small town the lawyers are rotated and each do a certain amount of public defendense- so they are all the same
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 9:06 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I've had both, and the public defender was the better than the expensive hired attorney.
    booviemom

Answer by booviemom at 1:38 AM on Jan. 8, 2011