"Just Make Me"!...ugh! 6 yr olds

I have raised nothing but girls and all my friends had nothing but girls...now I have a boy, he is 6 and going through what better be a phase. Whenever I ask him to do something he responds with.. "just make me"

my girls have never said this to me....

How do you handle this behavior ?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 4:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Been there done that. The consequence has to be quick and consistent every time. I do not allow back talk from kids..ANY kids. It is disrespectful and if they will do it to you, they will do it to others in authority. At 6 he would go to the corner for 6 minutes. Then he would do what I told him to do after an apology. If he were 16, he would lose phone and computer privileges and be ground for a couple of days. I did this with my sons who are nhow grown. I do it with my grandson and g-daughter now. They are 6 and 7. Little miss smartypants heard one of her friends speak to her Mother inappropriately and tried it with me. It didn't take her long to figure out what happens at others homes does not walk in ours. Stick with it.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Back talk is not allowed in my house. That response would result in an immediate time out, followed by required compliance with whatever he was asked to do in the first place, and concluding with a loss of privileges for the poor choice. And this would continue each and every time I was given that response.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 4:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Well, my boys both went through a time when they weren't very compliant - but they were always punished when they decided that a rude fresh mouth was appropriate, so those times never lasted long.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 4:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Well, if you don't want an ongoing problem with compliance, I'd make sure to address and change that behavior right away!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Ha Ha. I don't have any advice but I think if you dealt with girls you'll make it through with a boy, I think girls are more fresh than boys.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My girls never back talked like this, they were not that bad until they hit the teens years even then it wasn't about back talk it was more like they were doing things they shouldn't , staying out, lying but when ever I ask those first 3 to do something they never had a problem with compliance ... it is just the boy who is starting to get like this
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• In that situation they would be made to do whatever it is they are asked, and then punished for talking back. Simple as that.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010