With the focus on cutting expenses, what have you cut back on in the past six months?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Long story short, hubby lost job, neither of us can find work, even fast food places.
    We have cut all of the following,
    1. Canceled cable($60)
    2. Canceled home phone($35)
    3. Downgraded from broadband to free standing dsl(from $40 to $9.95)
    4. Canceled contract cell phones and got one prepaid cell phone(from $99.99 to $30)
    5. Had to empty savings to pay rent and utilities and now do not contribute($100)
    6. No longer eat out twice a week (around $40)
    7. Switched to generic products for the household like cleaning supplies, toiletries(save around $30)
    8. Cut grocery bill from around $400 per month to $150 per month
    Just those things used to total around $850 now on all these things we spend around $300.
    We still have $950 rent, $120 electricity, $40 water bill. These total $1140 and hubby gets $1200 for unemployment.
    How we manage to pay for all these things, im not sure, but we manage nonetheless.
    xomandyxo

Answer by xomandyxo at 7:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Dining out. This is a HUGE expense I never thought about.

When I went to lunch during the workweek, I was looking at ~ $10 a DAY. Dinner out for my family, even fast food was close to $40 each time. In the course of a week, 5 lunches and grabbing pizza or burgers one night, plus Sunday breakfast at IHOP with the kids was close to $150!

Now, I allow myself lunch out on Fridays as a treat, unless I have to run an errand during the week and don't brownbag it that day. I make pizza at home and I cut dinners out to 2x a month from 1x a week. I also started getting up and making Sunday breakfast except for 1x a month. I figure that is saving me close to $300 a month right there, because I did experience some additional grocery expenses with this change.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Dining out for us to. We cut it down to just once a month! It was really hard at 1st because we would find any old reason to go out. ie: "wow, our team won that game, lets go out!" But for the last 3 months we have only gone once. We haven't even went for November yet. We are saving a ton of money.

And...we have quadupled our coupon savvy. I really look through the paper and utilize the coupons. Anytime I want to buy anything, I go to it's website and get a coupon. I went grocery/household shopping this week and saved $40 just from coupons!!!
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• We never have dined out much to begin with. I have cut back on soft drinks, chips, and snacks. I make alot of soups. Try to use coupons.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 5:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Dining out, our overall grocery bill- we started buying from Angel Food ministries and then only spending $20 at the grocery store for snacks, fruits and drinks.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Eating out, buying extras of any kind
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2010