Secretary wants to scramble cell signals as soon as car is turned on...

http://nationaljournal.com/whitehouse/lahood-unveils-distracted-driving-campaign-to-distracted-msnbc-anchors-20101116

Anybody else see this as a problem?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 4:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I do. more nanny state crap from the progressives.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think they need to make texting while driving illegal. I can see how not getting an emergency call because you were in the car being a problem, but the over all idea is good.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 5:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm thinking of all the safety issues that occur where a passenger would need to use their cell phone to access emergency services...

I don't like the nanny crap either, but doesn't it cause other unsafe situations?
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I see a problem on several different levels.
    1. I live in the Pacific Northwest, people get lost/snowed in on bad roads every winter. Cell phones are the diff between life and death.
    2. What if you have an accident.
    3. So, the passengers get punished too?
    4. What about business people? I am in the car a lot and the cell phone is just as important to my biz as my computer. Do I just not conduct business because I'm in the car?

Then of course there is the whole....FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, PLEASE REMOVE YOURSELF FROM MY ASS. I DON'T NEED OR WANT YOU AS A PARENT.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I see problems with it. First of all, I live in Texas, where summers are sweltering. I often make calls or text while I am parked in a parking lot with the car still running, because I need the a/c. Second, passengers should be able to talk and text to their heart's content. I would also be interested to know how they will make it work only within the car that is running.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• So when we have a foot of lake effect snow dumped on us and I'm stuck in a ditch on the bypass, my options are phone or heat, but not both?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I actually only use my cell phone as a PHONE, but as a former Paramedic and current CPR/First Aid Instructor, I use my cell phone to notify EMS of traffic accidents, when EMS has not responded...guess those people are out of luck with this bill!

And considering I have two special needs children, if I'm ever in an accident, stranded/broken down, how the Hell am I going to call AAA or 911?! Guess I'll just have to wait until a state trooper happens to drive by!!

Another STUPID bill!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't like that at all. I bought my cell phone for emergencies that happen when driving. We live in Mn where there are so many icey snowy days. WOw. That is really a bad idea.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Carpy: Yes, I do. more nanny state crap from the progressives.

Ray Lahood is a republican carpy.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• its not the best idea ever but the safety message is good. the service gets turned off when the car is n gear. it turns back on when the car is n park.
    KaylaKR

Answer by KaylaKR at 9:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010