Birth Plans

If you had a hospital birth, did you write a birth plan? Was it followed by the doctors and hospital staff? If not, what do you think (or know) went wrong? Did you have people supporting you who backed up your plan??

FrunchyMama

Asked by FrunchyMama at 10:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a hospital birth but I didn't write a birth plan. I had a general idea of what I wanted.... I.E. I didn't want narcotics,but did want an epideral. Only wanted my hubby back there during the actualy delivery, and didn't want the mirror to watch. etc... nothing major I guess.
    jltorres87

Answer by jltorres87 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I had my son at a hospital, but did not write out a birth plan. I just had an idea of what I would LIKE to happen (epidural, pictures/no video, husband to cut the cord). I think it is important to keep in mind that you need to be flexible. I ended up with an emergency C-section which I barely remember; but atleast I finally have my baby boy here (safe and healthy). In the end it is more about safety for you and the baby than about your likes and dislikes. Talk it over with your MD, but please try to keep an open mind and be flexible about situations that arise. Good Luck!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I had a birth plan that said no epidural, but after seven hours of excruciating back labor, my doctor suggested the epidural, and I was all for it. I ended up having a c-section, but that was because my son's head was too large to move through the birth canal. (I never even got to 10 cm) I wasn't really opposed to the epidural because of the drug, it was more a fear of the needle in my spine. I think if you are honest with your doctor, they will follow your birth plan, but they will do what they need to do to make sure you and your baby are healthy.
    carr528

Answer by carr528 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I wrote a birth plan that we gave to our midwives and the hospital. My midwives really helped!! When I first arrived at the hospital a nurse looked at my protein levels, blood pressure, etc and said I would have to have a c-section. (She actually said "We're going to have to cut ya" wtf!). We insisted that I would not be having a c-section and we would speak with the midwife when she got there.

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Our midwives already new we wanted a natural birth and really worked with us. She put me on bed rest, pitocin, and a blood pressure medicine. After seven hours we were doing just fine until another nurse gave us a bad time. She was mad about something and said "Well, I'll just get your epidural ready then." We heard the midwife ridicule her for that.

Long story short, I was really glad I had my birth plan. I think it is a great idea to sit down and consider the things that will make your experience enjoyable. I though Birthing from Within was a great book!! Lots of good info. I especially like my hypnobirthing classes and the book.

If you want, I could send you a copy of my birth plan. Just let me know.
    jcsscfam5

• I had a birth plan but did not give birth in a hospital. My midwife followed it to the t.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:45 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I ended up having a c-section, but that was because my son's head was too large to move through the birth canal. (I never even got to 10 cm)

If you never made it to 10, then you would have never started pushing in a hospital therefor you would have no idea whether it "fit" or not. Besides the birth canal stretches and opens up. There is no such thing as being too small. This is a load of crap that you were told by your ob so he could manipulate you into a unnecessary c-section.

I hate that so many women spend SO LITTLE time researching birth and their bodies. It's sad that Americans women are viewed by the rest of the world as idiots for allowing such lies to be told and we ( not me ) just lalala right on into the operating room for them.

Forget-me-not

Answer by Forget-me-not at 4:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I checked out your profile and you seem to be the type of woman that trusts nature and her body. Seems like you would love an out of hospital birth! Have you seen The Business of Being Born? I would start with that, as well as reading The Thinking Womans Guide to a Better Birth, Birth:The History of How We Are Born, and Pushed. Good luck in your journey!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My birth plan was stay at home, where I know I would get what I wanted, and i did :)
    haileybeth

Answer by haileybeth at 7:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• You're right, Tanya, I would DEF prefer a homebirth, but for reasons that would take too long to type here, I've realized it's impossible. Mostly to do with lack of resources in the area and lack of money on my part. Very very disappointing!

I have seen BoBB, but not read the book you mentioned, but I've done lots of other research and this is why I know a hospital birth is just not at all what I want! The only way I've found to reconcile is to research as much as I possibly can and arm my delivery crew so they will help fight for me. I'm afriad the doctors will try to manipulate us, like the head too big thing, and while I know better, I'm worried my team will give in and not support me out of fear. Hence, the question about whether your birth plans were followed or not.

Thanks for all the answers everyone!!
    FrunchyMama

Answer by FrunchyMama at 5:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2008