Another question! :) I am breast feeding.. How fast did you get your milk? I am five days in and I am getting ALMOST 2 oz...

Is this normal?

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Pumping is NOT an indicator of what you are actually producing. There is no reason to pump, and this early is can DECREASE your supply. Just put the baby to the breast as often as they show sings of hunger.
    BTW- I never could pump, I got almost nothing, but my babies were fat, healthy, happy, well fed, chunky monkeys!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• that's actually very good. i was the same way my milk came in the day i went home from the hospital and i asked my baby's dr. if that was good and she said it was great, newborns don't drink that much so Ur doing good. keep up the good work.
    britt_howard

Answer by britt_howard at 5:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• DO NOT gauge your supply by how much you're pumping!! Baby is getting much more than you will ever pump, because while the pump works solely by pulling milk out, Baby's latch milks your breast just the right way, and stimulates oxytocin, which is a hormone that helps you release more milk. You sound like you're doing just fine, mama! You wouldn't even be able to express 2 oz if your milk hadn't come in. If you need to build up your freezer supply, try nursing on one side and pumping on the other. You'll be shocked how much you can pump this way. I got 10 oz once doing this!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think it's excellent! A newborn doesn't need much to start with and your supply will keep up with the demand if you feed often (every 2-3 hours). Good for you Mama!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I was pumping 16 oz on each side on day one...
    Anonymous

• Be thankful momma! LOL It's sooo awesome that you can get that much!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 5:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My milk didn't even come in till almost 5 days past the birth of my daughter! I'd say you're doing pretty good.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• ur doing great! i EP and i make 2oz each side every 3 hours! when my milk came in i was getting 4oz each side but that only lasted a few days!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• A formula fed baby eats about 2 ozs every 2-3 hours so you are getting enough for your beatiuful new baby. Plus what every one said above good luck .
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 6:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I can not reiterate enough what previous posters have said. Pumping is not an indicator of how much milk you are making! If your baby is gaining weight, then baby is getting enough to eat.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 9:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010