A few questions about donating in memory of someone who has passed away

How much do you usually donate to a charity? How do you decide if you will donate? I've had 8 significant deaths so far in 2010. Some are close friends, so donating is not a question. But what about this - the wife of a boss from 10 years ago? I never met her. Or what about the parent of a co-worker (again someone never met). Normally I would donate, but with so many people passing away this is becoming a significant expense.

Whimsee

Asked by Whimsee at 5:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• I usually only donate if it''s a family member or close friend. I think pay my respects at the funeral is enough for acquaintances.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• If it's not someone I knew well, I might toss in $5 in their memory.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• If a family member of one of our Associates passes away our company donates $75 in memory of that person. If I were donating my own money in memory of a co-workers family memory I would use the same amount or less depending on how close I am to the person. The wife of a boss from 10 years ago would depend on how much I still talk to the boss. Do I speak to them once a month? Then probably $50. Haven't spoken to them in a year, $25. It sounds cold but you have to determine it somehow.
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 6:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think the ex-boss and I have spoken once in the past ten years at someone's party. I can't "toss in" $5 -- I would have to mail these donations with a check directly to the charities. So how much is too much or too little for people you don't know/ knew very little? I was thinking about sending $20.
    Whimsee

Comment by Whimsee (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• There are no rules about this sort of thing. You donate what you can and only in the names of the people you chose.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2010