How long should you keep an adopted cat inside?

I adopted a cat about a month ago and I can tell he is DYING to go outside. He bolts out every chance he gets, and it makes me sad because I love him and I want him to be able to go out side, but I don't want him to run away!

How long does it take for cats to learn and understand that this is his home, and be able to go outside but still come back?

FatGirl239

Asked by FatGirl239 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Pets

• Just get a collar and leash and tie him out every so often

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• If you're dead-set on letting him outside (I think indoor only is safest), then he's fine to go now. Cats are smart--he'll check out the immediate area around your house and yard and know that's his "territory". Go out with him and see if he'll kind of hang out with you in the yard to help reinforce that, but he most likely won't have any problems knowing where homebase--and FOOD--is.
    Hopefully he's got some good street-smarts so he'll have a fighting chance of staying safe out there.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• We keep our cats indoors....too many fleas, ticks, other cats, kids and people who will harm a cat it's safest to be inside, trust me, they get over it
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Well the humane society said he was definitely an outdoor cat at some point in time, so I know he has at least some street smarts.. but I'm still worried he'll run away!

And butterfly, we tried that, but he just rolls onto his back when he is on a leash.. :-(
    FatGirl239

Comment by FatGirl239 (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would put up with the crying for outside - I refuse to let my cats out and they cry at the door and try to sneak out too but we have nasty strays around our house and I just fear they will get lost too - I can't do it - If the leash won't work, If you go to Dr smith and fosters or reverse that if its wrong, they have these outdoor tent like deals for cats lol!Also stats are that outside cats live only 7-10 years versus the indoor 14-18..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You should never EVER put a cat on a leash! It takes about 6 weeks for animal to become familure with his"new" home. I bet as long as you put a little food out for him when he goes out he will be fine.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 6:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It's best to keep them inside less likely to get a incurable cat disease,hit by a car,bit by another animal,less Vet visits. Plus inside cats live longer then outside cats.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I've always kept my cats inside, but if you really want to let him out then I would just feed him something really yummy that he likes for a couple days and then maybe he'll remember that and come back for it. I've always been scared my cats would run away if I let them out.
    mindi6103

Answer by mindi6103 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would keep him inside always unless you have him on a leash when outside. There are way too many dangers for outside cats! You say you love him, and I don't doubt that one bit, so protect him.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• forever unless u leashrain it most adopted cats arent keen on outdoors.
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 4:13 AM on Nov. 20, 2010