He did it all for the Nookie, now how do I get rid of it?

...has anyone ever heard of cutting the nipple off a nookie/binki/paci to wean a kid from it?

Does anyone have advice to start besides just cold turkey?

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 5:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ha ha thats funny!! That is how my best friend weined her kids. She cut the nipple off of everything...lol
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I had to just cold turkey my oldest off his. It was rough for about 3 days but then it was okay. You have to start talking to them a day or two before. Also implementing some new sticker chart for rewards for doing "big boy/girl" things can help.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• we just accidently on purpose misplaced it it and after a few days it was forgotten. of course my kid sonly had in bed to begin with and were around 2 when it was given up forever. they also had blankies that they used for self soothing.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 5:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• LOL, now I have that limp bizcuit song in my head :) I told my son they were broken, he tried to suck them but didnt make it very far.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm actually in the process of weining now my ds just turned 1 yesterday and i've only been letting him have it a sleep time. we've been doing good so far just have to keep at it. Don't give up he'll give up sooner or later.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 5:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• He is only 18 months...a lady at the day care told me this was a sure fire way and not as painful as cold turkey. You cut off the very tip and slowly cut the rest off until there is no more. His is attached to a Wubbanub Dog, so I am hoping that he will end up attached to the dog. I also bought the version with the blanket for even more transference, and I bought 3 in case one gets lost or needs washing. LOL
    donnareedonLSD

Comment by donnareedonLSD (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• And we had been only giving it to him at night for at least 8 months or more. I'm sure to expect some rough nights.
    donnareedonLSD

Comment by donnareedonLSD (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would just be scared about cutting the tips because then you ruin the integrity of the material and theres a possibilty that while hes using it a piece could come of a become a choking hazard. I'm not familiar with the wubbanub dog but if that has the nook attached to it I would unattach them and let him keep the dog.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 6:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010