Should I be annoyed with my mother.

My 2 year old daughter asked my mother for cheese, she would have to cut up a few slices for her. She wouldn't do it, instead the woman calls me upstairs ( we live in an upside down house, so the kitchen is upstairs, and they she lives with me) but anyway rather than cutting a few pieces of cheese for her grand daughter she called me to do it. The other day my daughter spilled her juice on the table, she called me from down stairs like my child was on fire to clean the mess. She drives me nuts. Would you be annoyed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Relationships

• Yes. I would. Try telling your mom that you would appreciate it she'd help you out with the little things like that, especially if you're already busy with something else. It sounds like she's just being lazy, or spiteful. Good luck!
    Gretchen0122

Answer by Gretchen0122 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i would be annoyed. BUT, she is your daughter. your responsibility.
    i went through the same thing with my mom. and i always wondered why the hell does she always tell me to do everything and she is always bugging me on baby sitting my daughter?!?! i didnt get it until one day i was like, "mom, your right there, why wont you do it??!?!" and she looked at me and said very calmy, "she is your daughter. your her mother. im her grandma. you may not want to get off your ass and do everything, but thats apart of being a mom". i know, very obvious, but for some reason when she said it, it made sense.
    and from then on it didnt annoy me as much at all when she'd call me from across the house to clean up after my daughter.
    i hope this helps. lol. good luck.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 10:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I tend to agree with what kiliki said but also add that so that your daughter comes to you for help and not grandma. Grandma done her job with you and now it's your job with your daughter.
    Anonymous

• It makes it a unique situation because your mom lives with you; but just remember, who would be there to pick up after your daughter or give her food if your mom wasn't there???? YOU! Maybe talk to her about working out an agreement on which situations she can take care of and which ones you can be in charge of; or it may be as simple as asking her to change the way she asks/tells you to do things.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Oh geeze ... Some peoplejust dont have the best attitudes do they?
    they probally werent in this situation. But I AM TOO! Omg it is SO annoying!!! I know exaclty what you mean. My mom does the same thing but my mother in law is NOTHING like that. SHE is a realy grandma.... My mom and her are like night and day. Yes its YOUR kid and if she wasnt there YOU would have to do it but she IS there and she IS the grandma! She can help too! It takes more than one person to raise a child!
    Message me if you ever want to chat! I bet we have more in common than youd think lol
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 11:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• you should be very annoyed ...i would ..she seems like my mother..miserable so that's how she's trying to make you...remember it takes two to make a arguement...bite your tongue until you have enough money to leave
    amiyamom

Answer by amiyamom at 11:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Or she has enough money to leave, she lives with me and can't work, non of my other sisters will have her, Im the oldest so Im stuck with her. But any way, she would never say it to my sister in regards to my nephew, she would do anyting for my nephew. My sister even thinks its wrong. My daughter's babysitter is more like a grandma to her, the only time my mother wants to act like a grandma is when she feels threaten. My daughter's babysitter is constantly buying things for my daughter, then and only then my mother will want to get her something and makes comments like "im her original grandma and all the others can step aside they can't have her" God help me.
    Anonymous

• maybe you're expecting too much from your mother. so what if you live together? you're the mother of the 2 yo. sure your mom could 'help' every now and then, but have you been using her more than she wants to be used? not bashing, just asking you to be real and think about the situation. perhaps your mother is trying to make sure you are being a mother..and not just another child in the house. when two adults cohabitate, you need to lay ground rules, especially where child-care is part of the equation. just because she is the gma, doesn' t mean she's going to mother your child. you need to respectfully talk about this to 'the woman'. she's your mother..do you want your daughter to talk about you this way some day? be an example, and show some respect. perhaps you'll get some back.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• thats awful my mother would never do that to me. heck she'd have my whole house clean and the laundry done. granted she would of complained about having done it all and that i should be the one doing it but at least she would of had it done and if i said thanks then she would feel like crap later for talking smack. i make it up for it in other ways for her help. just tell your mother to stop being lazy and just get the damn cheese she is right there. not in those exact words. it seems like she is doing it on purpose for some reason. i don't think your expecting to much from your mother but maybe i don't know but in my house and my mother you wouldn't see this kind of behavior.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I HAVE BEEN IN THAT SITUATION TOO, AND IT MAYBE ANNOYING BUT YA KNOW WHAT SOMEDAY YOUR MOM WONT BE THERE AND THEN WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO, DID YOU EVER THINK THAT MAYBE SHE IS ONLY THAT WAY IN YOUR BEST INTEREST? ASK HER AND SHE WHAT HER REASON IS FOR THAT......AND YA KNOW IT IS YOUR CHILD NOT HERS.....SO THERE OR NOT ITS NOT HER JOB TO DO ANY OF THAT STUFF.
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2008