My dogs keep licking each others mouths? What is this about seems nutty.

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Pets

• Probably smells something weird. Dogs are gross. My dog is missing an eye, there is always a greenish yuckiness coming out, which I have to clean out almost daily. However, if there is a dog around, the first thing they do is lick that. It makes me sick, but that's what dogs do.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Licking can be communication and it can be a sign of lower ranking. Young wolves will lick the lips of the older wolves, or the mother wolf. It is how they get fed because sometimes this licking behavior will cause the adult to regurgitate part of the partially digested meat for the younger wolf. I think dogs will lick other dogs' lips if there is something special that dog just ate, like liver treats too.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:18 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Mine clean each others eyes and ears out. I think it's just an instinct for them to care for one and other like that.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 6:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My female Sheltie always licks my male Sheltie right in his mouth! lol Maybe they are making out? Just kidding! I agree, it is probably just instinct.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:46 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think it is a means of ranking, as spottedpony suggests. I have a friend with two 9 mo. old labs and another older dog. The older dog tolerated the mouth licking when they pups were younger but now it is an irritant to him - as though they are trying to make the older dog submit.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• That is right tasches, adult dogs are very patient and tolerant of puppies up to about 4-5 months of age-when they become teenagers.
    Once the puppies become older they often are not nearly as tolerant and you will see them start to put them in their place more often!
    Smart dogs!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2010