dogs and babies?!?!

My bf has a husky mixed dog. we believe he is to be about 1 1/2. So needless to say he is VERY rambunctious. I don't know if he knows/feels yet that there is something different going on with us being pregnant and all. But Im worried that Kodah will get in the way. We both know he will be very JEALOUS and have to show him love, but im kinda worried. He does great with rommies baby, but its not his daddy that has time taken away from him. Im not a huge fan of dogs to begin with and Im trying to get my bf to keep him off the bed since he SHEDS everywhere, and it will also be good cause if I have the baby on the bed I dont need him jumping on it. cause if he sees daddy there its horse playing and all the weird lovey stuff /attention he gets. Like being held like a baby. Mind you this dog stands at almost 6 feet on his hind legs. anyways off point. how or any advice on dogs and babies in same house hold?

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 6:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you'll be fine when the baby comes you just need to show attention to both... just so that he knows that he's not being left out(the dog that is).
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think everything is just fine you might actually noticed the dog being a little distance when the baby is born becasue he doesn't know what to think right away and then eventually he will become protective to the baby, Which i noticed with one of my dogs when my daughter started crawling. Good luck hope this helped
    toriturtle

Answer by toriturtle at 6:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• you should be ok. just don't let the dog feel left out.
    My friend had a big dog. She had a little girl.
    Both dog and baby are best friends
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I have a chihuahua. I was worried too, because my dog was like my baby. But, after my baby was born, the dog is fine and LOVES my DD. Just make sure you dont segregate them. Let the dog smell the baby, lick him/her... Also it helps if you can bring home something with your baby's smell BEFORE you bringhome the baby. The night we had Scarlett, my mom brought home the blanket she was wrapped in, so she could get used to it.
    Be loving toward the dog... and make sure your BF doesnt ignore him once the baby comes. Youll be ok :)
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 8:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You would be very surprised at how dogs act around babies. Majority of the time, they become submissive and protective of the baby. They can sense that the baby is fragile and care needs to be taken around the baby.

Had the dog been fixed? If not, get him fixed ASAP. This will calm him down.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 8:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• we have two dogs one big and one little I am 16 weeks along and we see no problems our dogs are very protective and loving. Puppies are very playful however most of the time they are calm and will not hurt the baby.
    KaylaKR

Answer by KaylaKR at 9:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• We have two big dogs. One is young and rambunctious, too. I was concerned, but they were fine. Immediately, I put into action a mandate that they lay down when they are by the baby. This let them know that, while our DD was fragile and weak, she ranked above them as our most precious. Any time they did this, they got praise. Also, anytime they showed any affection or gentleness toward the baby, we showered them with praise. Any time they did anything toward her that I didn't like (like even hinting at a growl), they were banished from the room for a bit. Now, DD, 13 months old, can take play in their food bowls while they are eating, and they don't say a thing. For a while, one of our dogs was terrified of the baby, but now that she is not so fragile (and now that she drops food) that dog is a huge fan of baby! lol! Just make sure your dog knows his place.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 9:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I believe he is already fixed,, before he got him
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010