How long can we delay our car payment?

Ok. We are having some big finical problems. I have missed two car payments in a row and I worry all the time about the car being repossessed. I plan on making the payment this month, and I have explained to the finance company, but they still call each and everyday asking when we can make a payment. I will be able to pay this month, but damn they still call!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Before we were married, my DH got very behind on his car payment. I think if he missed 3 payments in a row, they would come take the car. He missed 2 in a row a few times. He got a deferment on his loan, and they worked with and tacked those missed payments onto the end of his loan. This was about 8 years ago so I don't know how the banks are working these types of situations.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• They will keep calling tell you pay.

Answer by louise2 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i missed 5 before they came on month 6 & took my car.
    Anonymous

• My finance company says after 60 days the think about repoing it. I have never been late like thatt though. I think you will be ok. Some do it as soon as 30 days. They will tell you on the phone if its up for repo, usually.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Can't you call and request to skip a payment? One of our car loans had that option. I think you have to be caught up on payments to skip a payment.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think the other person is talking about a deferment. We had medical issues in the past and called one time and they approved a one month deferment for us, but we were not behind so I don't know if you would get it. As for the repo, I think it just depends on the financial institution.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010