How long can we delay our car payment?

Ok. We are having some big finical problems. I have missed two car payments in a row and I worry all the time about the car being repossessed. I plan on making the payment this month, and I have explained to the finance company, but they still call each and everyday asking when we can make a payment. I will be able to pay this month, but damn they still call!!!!!

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Before we were married, my DH got very behind on his car payment. I think if he missed 3 payments in a row, they would come take the car. He missed 2 in a row a few times. He got a deferment on his loan, and they worked with and tacked those missed payments onto the end of his loan. This was about 8 years ago so I don't know how the banks are working these types of situations.

Answer by Journey311 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• They will keep calling tell you pay.

Answer by louise2 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i missed 5 before they came on month 6 & took my car.

• My finance company says after 60 days the think about repoing it. I have never been late like thatt though. I think you will be ok. Some do it as soon as 30 days. They will tell you on the phone if its up for repo, usually.

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Can't you call and request to skip a payment? One of our car loans had that option. I think you have to be caught up on payments to skip a payment.

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think the other person is talking about a deferment. We had medical issues in the past and called one time and they approved a one month deferment for us, but we were not behind so I don't know if you would get it. As for the repo, I think it just depends on the financial institution.

Answer by kc932 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010