My son's school just added 2 days to his Christmas break...

The email sent out said that there was a conference that was going to close school for 2 days that was canceled, so now his Christmas break has 2 extra days. I know some parents are excited about the extra time, but not me. That means I have to pay a sitter for 2 full days, right before Christmas. I wish they would have thought about the inconvenience the working parents.

Should I send something complaining (I already paid for his school) or just let it go?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in

• You could complain, but I doubt it would do any good. Teachers in every district have to have continuing education to keep their certifications up-to-date. If they had to reschedule, they probably thought they were doing families a favor by adding on to the Christmas break. Maybe you can get family or parents of your child's friends to help you out to help eliviate the cost of a sitter.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You pay for school and they cut his days?? Yeah, I would expect a refund. However for public school this is common. We lost 4 days last year - all after March. Then 2 more from this years schedule including the 4 they took off last year.. I think they should at least extend the hours if they are going to reduce the days.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 6:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Do you have a family member he could stay with for free? Or a friend of yours or his?
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think they gave enough notice that I wouldn't raise a fuss. When you're paying tuition it generally isn't based on days attended anyhow, it's monthly. I agree with mrsmom110, they probably figured adding a couple of days to a holiday would be the way to please most since you can't please all.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• If I was paying, would put in a complaint.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Let it go because they are not going to change it. They cannot please everyone and try to do their best.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The school can't please everyone.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• What would complaining accomplish?? Yes it's in convenient but they gave you over a month's notice. You can't change it so really, don't waste your energy.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:09 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• She said she had to pay for a sitter for the extra 2 days he'll be out of school, not that the school was canceling 2 days she had already paid for. This is a problem for parents when they have to make day care arrangements and the school changes the calendar but there really isn't anything you can do about it, especially if it's public school. If you're in an area that gets lots of snow in January - March, you would think they would've just had the kids go to school in anticipation of needing to make up snow days later. Oh, well, it's rare that the school thinks ahead that far!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Schools are not daycare centers. You only want him there so you don't have to pay a sitter. That's not really the POINT of school.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2010