So i overheard my mother-in-law telling my husband to leave me because...

" I am lazy and do not take care of my kids or house"

That is what she said. She thinks this because I work 5 days a week... my husband stays home ( by his choice) He picks up toys and certain things during the day, watches OUR kids, and makes lunch ..... Meaning I still clean ( as in dishes, floors, laundry) , I dont leave for work until 9 and I make everyone breakfast ( big homemade breakfast), and I make supper when I come home at 4 ! I have a great job and I make double what my husband made, our home is almost paid off and so is his truck - because of MY job. I still read the kids night stories and put them to bed, and we take turns bathing them ....

Last night it happened to be my husbands turn to bath the kids, my MIL was over visiting and eating the dinner I MADE... I heard her telling him it is MY JOB to bath the kids, that I am lazy and he can do so much better !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• He should tell her how wrong it was for her to say that or sleep on the porch.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 6:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Leave him because he is lazy and doesn't take care of his kids or the house.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Did you discuss this with your husband? You run your family how it works best for your family. Some people are stuck in the 1950's and can't get out of Leave it To Beaver-land. As long as your husband is happy with the arrangement don't worry about MIL. If hubby was upset by what she said you both need to confront her together. I would not allow someone to undermine me in my own home., thats for sure.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Gotta love a meddling mother huh? I'm the stay at home parent at my house and totally do not agree with her thinking, I hope your hubby doesn't either. :) My mother thinks dh could help out more around here and doesn't grasp why he has to be away as much as he is, it's caused an attitude on her part more than once. I don't know what I'd say to her if she actually came out and said something to me like your MIL did!
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• She has been like this for the last few years ( we have been married for 11 years and we have been doing this routine for the last 6) ... my husband always takes up for me and he use to put her in her place but it just feels like a lost cause........I am usually pretty confident when it comes to our family because I know we have it pretty good, I KNOW I am a GREAT MOMMY and WIFE .... but it just makes me think what if one day I die before she does... I can hear her at my funeral whispering telling everyone how I was so horrible.... or when my 3 kids get older, telling them that I didnt take care of them..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• PLEASE tell me he stood up to her!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Tell her if she cannot support the decisions you two have agreed upon, she can stay home. Her undermining what you do is unacceptable. Who is she to judge?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• He needs to defend you and if he doesn't then I'd do it myself. She most defidently needs to mind her own business when it comes to yalls daily life.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Wow....I was SO lucky I had a nice Mother in Law. Yours sounds like a freak.
    My MIL was born in 1905 so you can see that even though she was older, she wasn't one of those old fashioned, mean old women who had rigid ideas of how men and women should act when married. She never interfered and my Mom didn't either. They had manners and they ....they had their own lives! LOL.
    Now your husband needs to tell his Mom to go jump in a lake. LOL. No---but he needs to tell her to mind her own business.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• What a BIT*H! I hope your husb backed you up! What nerve! I would've been so mad, so if you were able to maintain composure, you deserve a medal!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010