If you have an epidual to you feel pain

I've never had a vaginal birth. If you have an epidual do you feel pain while your body is contracting to get to a 10? When your at a ten what kinds pain do you get while pushing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• All I can tell you is that most women don't remember this so call excruciating pain, so that tells you it is bearable.

Answer by older at 7:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I was lucky enough not to feel a thing it took a while with pushing because I couldnt feel my contractions.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 7:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I did it with no epidural and it wasn't horrible. So, if you have one, I'm sure it isn't intolerable.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I felt absolutely nothing with my epidural. I could have sawed off my own leg. They came running in and said "Wake up! It's time to push!!" I had no idea. I pushed when they told me, but I could have slept right through it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I had an epidural with my 2nd and 3rd, I felt slight discomfort but not pain. I had no problem pushing when they told me it was time.

Answer by missanc at 7:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I had pain, lol. I guess my epidoral guy really wanted me to get the full experience! I guessed it dulled the pain a little, I wasn't screaming like the lady in the room next to me but the pain made me cry!

I don't know about you ladies, but when other people talk about epidorals, they talk about the button to give more meds. Did you have that? I didn't!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 7:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I made it to 8cms before getting an epidural. It wasn't unbearable, but I got it because I was scared to death of the pain of the actual delivery, lol. I didn't feel any pain whatsoever after they gave it to me.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• every women is diffrent I believe it depends on how your body reacts to it is my guess. But with my first baby I didn't feel a thing I was loving it lol. But the problem was I wasn't pushing hard enough because I couldn't feel nothing so the doctor had to lower my epidural so that I could somewhat feel so I can push lol. Well, when they lowered it I started feeling everything at that point. I was in a lot of pain. After she was born and everything I didn't hurt no more of course, but I said I was never going to do that again because it hurt to bad lol. Well someone told me give it a couple months you will forget about the pain. I was like no I wont lol.

Guess what I had baby 2 after saying I wasn't going to lol. With her I was so numb I couldn't feel anything at all. The nurses were talking and I was laughing lol. All I have to say is make sure you push so they don't have to lower it lol.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It depends on what kind of epidural is done. When I had my first, I had a "light" epidural. I could still feel everything and I could still get up and walk and stand, but it relaxed my midsection and made my labor go faster. When I had my second, I had a full epidural and could not feel pain, only pressure. I could not move my legs, even. I was very comfortable and it made my labor go very fast.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Every woman feels it differently. Sometimes, it doesn't work, sometimes it only works on one side, sometimes it only knocks down some of the pain, sometimes it works completely. I initially had great relief, but as I progressed, it was still in a good amount of pain, using my breathing techniques, but confined to the bed. Plus, DS's heart rate would drop if I moved from one specific position. I attended a birth recently where the mom had the epidural at 2cm (I can't believe she thought that pain was a 10, but that's another story). She ended up with it wearing off before she got to 10, and she ended up with a c-section, but they couldn't get her numbed up through her epidural (she had built up a tolerance). It took them an HOUR to get her numbed up through a spinal, and they almost had to use general anesthesia.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010