Are we genocidal maniacs?

This election has brought out the worst in women here, who I imagine were previously rational ppl. There has been mass dehumanizing of candidates, and of supporters of either side. It makes me wonder how close were are to the sort of scapegoating that precedes genocides. So, the question is, are you capable of viewing your political rivals as human beings, just like yourself? Can you make an effort to reach out, with real kindness, to ppl you disagree with? Can we still disagree without malice towards one another?

21stCenturyMom

Asked by 21stCenturyMom at 10:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Good question, unfortunately you will probably soon besieged by those very venom spewing attackers........ you do bring up a good point but for some reason calls for humanity and decency are met , for the most part anyway, with more attacks.

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 10:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Now see I like this Question WAY better than the last one. Much less biased and well rounded. I think this has turned out the crazy in folks. But it'll be all good! If you don't belive me check out the Q's about what everyone will do if thier candidate doesn't win. Very sane answers there!
    Anonymous

• Anon, you are so right about turning out the crazy! Do you think that we will all be able to return to respectful disagreement after the election is verified, or do you think it is too far gone?
    21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 10:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• This is a very interesting question and you bring up very good points. I just think there is so much at stake with this election that it has brought out a lot of passion in people. I've tried very hard not to engage in conversation with anyone about the candidates. I know I feel so strongly about my choice, that if I were to be in a conversation with someone who felt just as strongly on the other side, it could result in an arguement. It's not worth arguing. I realize that, even if you disagree with me, you have a right to your own opinion.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Mishelly, thank you for your sane voice!
    21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 10:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• This election is making alot of people crazy because it is uncovering America's worse sham. It is making America naked to themselves and the world. What a pity.

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I am a progressive and a Unitarian, so I am forced to respect the inherent value of my adversary's even when they don't deserve it.
    hehehe
    Sad but true.
    Much Love
    Alex
    alex

Answer by alex at 10:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Of course I can. I have a very dear friend who is the complete opposite as I am, politically. I could never allow politics to come between us. The same goes for my BIL and one of my sisters. Those here at CM who I disagree with, I certainly hold no true ill will towards them. There are a few who are so extreme with their beliefs that I often find myself shaking my head. They want me to 'see the light' and to 'see the truth' in McCain. That is their right to feel that way. Just as it is mine to wish they would realize the world will not come to an end, as they fear, if Obama is elected.

FromAtoZ

Answer by FromAtoZ at 10:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Ahhh man! I had a longer response, had to cut it shorter than 1000. Thought I had copied the remaining but failed to do so. Errrr I have no doubt that tomorrow, and the next few days, will bring out the 'I told you so"s and the Bibles will be flying again. As a Christian myself, I am rather tired of that. Any way, it won't die down for a few days. Myself, no matter who wins I plan to look forward. I hope many others can do the same.

FromAtoZ

Answer by FromAtoZ at 10:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I am totally fine with seeing anothers views. I know which candidate I favor over the other, but since I do alot of research on both I am able to defend the wrongs that have be mentioned. This is from both sides might I mention. I believe that people can see things differently because we would be a really messed up world if we all thought the same. I am okay with defending a candidate that I am not for if I know what is being said is false and research needs to be made from the poster. What really burns me up is when people get to the point when they start calling people names and accusing them of things. (see cont.)
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2008