Is it possible for your milk to dry up?

My daughter is 12 days old and I have been breastfeeding and pumping since day one. I noticed that the past few days anytime I pump i barely get an ounce beteween both breast. Is it possible for your breast milk to dy up? I keep reading conflicting articles one says this cant happen another one says it can. I was already supplementing with formula but I am just so confused. Any insight on this would be nice.

EviesMummy08

Asked by EviesMummy08 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pumping does not equal what you are producing. Most women can't get more than an ounce or two between both breasts. Baby is WAY better at getting it out. I will say though..everytime you give formula or a bottle you are telling your breasts to make less milk.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• well, if you want to increase your milk production then don't supplement with formula. the more you nurse the more you will produce. i will say though that you cannot use how much you pump as a guide for how much you're making. i ebf 3 babies and they all did very well (ok, they were fat lmao). i pumped only 2 oz at the most between both breasts MAX. obviously i was producing milk, but me and the pump just didn't get along lol. i would say nurse as much as you can and don't stress about how much (or little) you're pumping. gl
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• its extrememely rare (1% chance)
    1 pumping is not an indicator of supply
    2. are you nursing on demand?
    3 how are diapers?

best way to boost supply is to nurse more often
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It IS possible to dry up, but VERY VERY unlikely to just dry up, out of nowhere, for no reason. Average pump output is .5 oz to 2 oz, from both breasts combined, per pump session. A pump is not an accurate way to measure supply. The ONLY thing you should be looking at are diapers. You want to be changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hour period. If you're doing that, and baby is gaining weight, and meeting milestones, your supply is PERFECT. Pumping can tell you ONE thing: how much you're able to pump. And at first, your body is in overdrive, making extra milk, until it figures out how much it needs to make. At this stage, it seems as if your supply has stabilized, and you are producing the amount that your baby needs. If this is the ONLY reason you are concerned about supply, then there is no reason to worry. If there is something else that you are concerned about, please let us know, and we can help :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• thank you ladies, I am supplementing with formula because of her weight. The lactation consultant was the one who told me to give my daughter formula as well as breast milk.
    EviesMummy08

Comment by EviesMummy08 (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Oh, I just read the part about supplementing. Why are you supplementing? (if you don't mind me asking) Supplementing CAN hurt your supply, but at this stage, it's an easy fix. Tell me more. Approx how often are you nursing? Pumping? Approx how often and how much are you supplementing, and when? As I don't know your whole situation, I can't be sure to say this, but it's likely you don't need to use formula. If you WANT to breastfeed AND formula feed together, that is your choice. But, if you want to get to exclusive nursing, it can be done, and probably rather easily at only 12 days old. Without knowing the whole story, here is what I would advise, to get to exclusive nursing. If you are supplementing a LOT, like, at every feeding, you'll want to drop the formula over a few days. If it's just a little bit, I would stop all bottles, formula and breast milk, and just put baby to breast every time you think he's hungry
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yes, this means even if you JUST finished nursing 15 mins ago. Put that baby BACK to the breast. THIS will increase your supply. I'd bet that it will only take a day or two, again, assuming you are only supplementing a little. Tell me everything you can about feedings and supplements, and I will hopefully be able to give you the correct advice :) I'm sorry this is SOOOO long, I'm just trying to help :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• OK. The lactation consultant. Is this an IBCLC, or what...like, where did you find this consultant? What is the weight issue? What else did you try for this issue? And, I know I asked this, but tell me all about feedings. Nursing, bottled breast milk, formula supplements...(how often, how much, etc) I don't see an IBCLC (a good one anyway) recommending supplementation with formula, unless as a LAST resort, and at 12 days old, unless there was a SERIOUS weight problem, I doubt it was truly necessary. I AM NOT A DOCTOR, I'm just going on what I know about nursing, and I believe I know quite a bit. I would like to help, but only if you want my help, and I hope I don't seem too pushy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• join the breastfeeding moms group
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• can u post all weights taken.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2010