"I can't be good enough on my own"

So, without god whispering into your ear "Don't murder that idiot who cut you off in traffic" you wouldn't be good enough to comprehend right from wrong?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 8:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• obby obby obby....(who does that sound like? lol)
    of course you have comprehension of right and wrong. i've never heard anyone say they can't be a good person without God. they aren't good enough on their own to obtain eternal life..but that's after death, not the here and now. (and that's another subject altogether)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• "But for my faith in God, I should have been a raving maniac."
    -Mohandas Gandhi

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I have morals without God.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It never is about being good enough! God knows that, that is the reason He sent His Son to the Cross.. He was the one that sacrificed it all for US. It is by Grace that we can even begin to overcome things in our life... the key is to believe it!
    The Yoke is easy and the Burden light... Why? He took everything on the Cross, every sickness, disease and sin. We no longer have to carry it all.
    Without faith it is impossible to please God... It takes faith in believing He is God, His Son is Jesus that is what pleases God. You can strive all you want but that doesn't help you be good. He just wants you to rest in Him and trust Him. Does that mean we do not do a thing.. sometimes yes sometimes no. It depends on what He is asking you to do.
    Law kills Grace gives life.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• that is what some religious leaders would like you to believe. people know right from wrong on their own.
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 8:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I've heard people state they would not be moral, law abiding people without their god. A frightening thought!
    AND I've had many people ask with true curiousity, how in the WORLD can I be a moral, law abiding person without god, LOL!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The thought that someone actually said this is terrifying. Worse yet, that there are more like them!
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I was told that unless I go to church and get told what my morals should be- that I could not have them or judge for myself...

It was my mother's husband who said this to my face.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm the same person with or without God. Who I am is who I always have been, even before I established my beliefs. I don't follow a certain religion and I have no textbook on how to live my life. For me, it's always been instinct to be kind and loving. That's not to say that God isn't a huge part of my life, or that he doesn't help me when I'm in need, but I truly believe that without Him, I'd still be the same person. It makes me wonder about people who think like that, though. Like...would they be completely sinful if it weren't for their God and the Bible? Would they lose all compassion and morals without it? Who knows? :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Well, I want to clarify...I shouldn't say that I'd be the exact same person without God, because I don't that to be true, but I do know that I'd still have the same morals and values. I hate to say it, and feel a little guilty saying so, but it was my parents and upbringing that instilled a lot of my values in me...not God.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2010