What do you believe?

Many religious fundamentalists believe that the earth and everything on it was created in six 24-hour days, just a few thousand years ago. Some atheists would have you believe that God does not exist, that the Bible is a book of myths, and that all life is the product of random, undirected events. What do you believe?

dgall3

Asked by dgall3 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe in possibilities.

plant a tree

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 12:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I don't see anything in the Bible that says that God did his creating in 6 24-hour days. Since he was the one setting up the light and the dark and everything in it, why wouldn't it have taken as long as he wanted and it could've been minutes or millenium? But I do believe in God and in the message he sent us through the writings in the Bible.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 8:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I believe in God and in evolution. That the Bible holds truth but not that it IS truth. I also don't believe that the Bible or Christianity is the only way to find truth or God....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm an atheist. I'll let you guess what I believe. Here's a clue, it's not a literal 6-day creation. However a "series of random undirected events isn't exactly right either. They weren't random, they were a result of certain cause and effect models, both on micro and macro scales. These events helped to "direct" subsequent events as they provided certain conditions however there was no being "directing" these events like a policeman would direct traffic.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Logically, I have to go with the myths and Jewish fairytales. The bible contains contradictions and errors of both a scientific and practical nature. It reads too much like any other book of myths to be taken seriously.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• How would I have you believe that all life is the product of random, undirected events? Cause meets effect, that is how things work. It is not random, or unrelated, it is a chain reaction. *sigh*

You give the perfect example of ignorant assumption. At least, as opinionated as I am, mine have been formed through the assimilation of information, and the process of analytical, logical elimination. I can not have an opinion about something of which I knew nothing (or even very little).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• First of all this is a question, not my belief. Second, I said some atheists, not all. Third, arrogant people don't usually ask questions, they just assume that they are right.

dgall3

Comment by dgall3 (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Well, I'm one of the "fundies" that believes what Genesis says, that God did in fact create the world in six days, but I don't think I've ever read they were 24 hour days. All it says is there was evening,and there was morning, the 1st day,the 2nd, etc. And, yes, I do believe the earth is slightly over 6,000 years old. I don't say this to be bashed, or debate about it. I have my belief, I respect the rights of others to have their's so please afford me the same respect, and not tell me I'm "stupid", "blind", or whatever else. I don't run around calling anyone else names whose beliefs are different from mine, and all I ask is the same respect in return.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You made a statement that you believe this to be true, and then asked what others believe :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I ask questions for a number of reasons. If the question is NOT my belief, then I learn from others responses. I like to see others responses so that I can try and look at things from different points of view, ones that maybe I hadn't thought of before. For me the question and answers on CM religion are a learning tool. No offense is ever intended.
    dgall3

Comment by dgall3 (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010