Does it matter what we believe as long as we believe in something?

Or Does It?

Matthew 7: 21-23 - "Not everyone saying to me, Lord, Lord, will enter into the kingdom of the heavens but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name? And yet I will confess to them: I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness."

dgall3

Asked by dgall3 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• daisy: It doesnt matter if you hold good morals or a good person... the key to Christianity is believing in Jesus and Loving one another as He does.

The Key is The Will of the Father in that scripture posted.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I feel like everyone is entitled to Believe in whatever is right for them without being judged or questioned-

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 8:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• One shouldn't believe in something "just because". Nothing is worth much without your heart in it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Sounds more like your actions are what truly matter. It sounds just like what I tell many of the religious people I speak with. I am an Atheist but I have morals. I always say I would like to think if god is so forgiving and great like most Christians say he is than he will be less worried about me believing than with me being a good person. I do not think that believing just to go to heaven would work hypothetically speaking. I don't believe in the supernatural so I am not worried either way.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 9:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Of course it matters what you believe.

To say that it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you believe in something is like saying that it doesn't matter what you do as long as you are doing something.  Our beliefs and our life views set our minds and guide our actions if we apply them.  There are always consequences for both.

NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 2:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sorry but I judge and question every flippin' day.

Mom who claims her husband forced her to abuse her kids? I'm judging!
    Dad who leaves kid outside liquor store in the car? I'm judging!
    My dear BFF who believes that special underpants get him into special heaven? I'm questioning!

Me? I'm a Christian and I've got a book that is all kinds of goofy but works for me. Yup, I called it goofy. But so am I.

On one hand, find a lane and stick to it. On the other hand, let's make sure your lane includes keeping my lady parts intact, letting me drive, allowing me to vote, and not worrying if I wear pants, skirts, or a bikini bottom.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't feel there's a requirement.
    You do what you feel is right for you. Its no other human being's business.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I feel you can't force people to believe, or not believe, what they deeply feel to be true. I think we should value everyones beliefs even if we don't share them. If we don't we are turning our backs on the most important lesson Jesus tried to teach us. To truely love and value everyone. I think our actions towards others do really matter above all else.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:03 AM on Nov. 18, 2010