Should I believe my husband?

We've been together for 30 years and in just the past 3-6 months, he's started getting really absent-minded and forgetful. I'll ask him to do something and he forgets literally 2 minutes later. I know all the kids' schedules and who needs to be where and when but he can't even remember what I told him from breakfast time until after school. I'm beginning to think he's either having an affair or suffering from early-onset dementia!! Any suggestions on how I can not get too frustrated with him?

ceallaigh

Asked by ceallaigh at 8:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• Being that he just can't remember something you've asked him to do, how does that give you the idea he's having an affair?
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Right, AtHome! Talk about LEAPING to conclusions! Poor man is probably so stressed out, he's nervous and forgetting things!

But seriously, he needs to see a dr. Could be alzheimer's.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 8:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't really think he's having an affair. But I asked him straight out if there's something else on his mind or what because this isn't like him. He tells me there isn't but I'm about ready to send him off to the doctor for a complete physical. After this long together, I know when something's not right.
    ceallaigh

Comment by ceallaigh (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• And if he's stressed out, then he needs to tell me what's stressing him. We've been partners for 30 years, so unless he's already been to the doc and he's dying, I think he needs to be honest with me. I have enough stress with 3 teens and a full-time job of my own without adding in this situation.
    ceallaigh

Comment by ceallaigh (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• An affair would be the last thing I'd think. I really don't even see how those two correlate. It's way more likely that he's just stressed and got a lot on his mind. Try making to-do lists or reminder notes for him, that should help him remember!
    ChelseaUT

Answer by ChelseaUT at 8:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• He sounds like me I forget everything and I'm not kidding.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My husband does exactly this same thing. He also turns the wrong way when he is driving. He is just not thinking anymore.
    He insists I have not told him things that I definitely have. He gets so mad at me. We went in for our physicals last month and when I was alone I asked the Dr. he said that my husband had to agree to an evaluation for dimentia before he could do it. I think the Dr. just did not want to be bothered to pay attention and address my concern. But I do not think my husband is having an affair.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Help him remember by writing things on his calendar or on a "honey do" list for him... He won't have an excuse then!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm the same way! The second dh tells me something I've already forgotten it, and I'm definitely not having an affair! I'd suggest just trying to remind him of things or write them down.. That's what helps me! And seeing the doc would definitely be a good idea, just in case somethings going on! Good luck!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I get him to a dr.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010