Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

leaving state?

ill make it short. im divorced, ex has 1 hr supervised visitation per week with my 9 yr old son and 6 year old daughter. hes 18k in arrears and currently hasnt paid child support in over 3 months. we live in NY and my husband recently was laid off. he has a great job opportunity in SC. problem is, i dont know if the court will let me leave with the kids. we cant seem to make in NY, right now, were afraid of losing our house. does anyone know if we may be able to go or if anyone has dealt with this?


Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • my mom left state with us after she asked the court when i was 5 yrs old. I am not sure what the rules are now but as long as you go thru the courts it shouldn't be a problem.

    Answer by KaylaKR at 9:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

  • You'll have to go to court and get approval and although he's behind in child support, your ex still has visitation rights and you should have a new plan in mind before you get there.

    Answer by ceallaigh at 9:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

  • You wil lhave to find out what the law is. Generally, if there is an order of visitation, you won't be able to move more than a certain amount of miles away.

    Answer by Shanna84 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 24, 2010