Is having a second baby significantly harder than the first?

My husband and i have a 19 month old baby girl right now and are starting to talk about planning for a second. Is it really hard to handle the two children compared to just the one? Advice, stories, anything is helpful :) Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• nope. the second was significantly easier for me but i waited 5 years between them, my second and third were 3 years apart. i will know soon if its hard having a toddler and a baby. cause the baby and my daughter will be 21 months apart.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 9:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• my boys are just 25 months apart, and yeah it is hard btu in a drifferent way. you know more than with your first you know things you want to do. but there are still 2 sets of mouths to feed and change their diapers.. but i love it!!!
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 9:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• mine are 13 months apart. and no it isn't harder at all. neither my hubby or i were as tense the second time around. now, if the babies eventually have different personalities that may be the issue. but my first is much more hard to deal with than the second, just because of personalities
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think the first couple of months are hard because your adjusting to having two and giving each child the attention they need. But after a while you just get used to it and you forget what it was ever like to just have one. Once I established good routines with my newborn and my 2 year old everything was great ;)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Second was easier as the other said you know what to expect with your second mine are 2 years apart and i don't think they can go without each other
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 9:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• as long as the kids get along well it shouldnt be much harder, you've already been through it all with the first one right? :)
    babystew

Answer by babystew at 9:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Not really hard, but it does take some getting used to having yourself pulled in two different directions. Thankfully when I had my second, my first was potty trained and in preschool so that made it easier on me. It's easier in ways too.... you'll know what to expect, what you'll need/not need, etc. Things you've already been through with your first =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The only hard thing for me was sharing my time! I was tore between my then 2 yr old and the new born. I was nursing so I had to nurse the baby and my 2 yr old was such a mommies girl she would cry when ever I had to nurse specially when my husband was not home! I cryed a lot due to post pardom. Other then that the second was easier to take care of due to knowing what I was doing! :) Best of luck with your choice! Now my daughters are best friends at the ages of 4 and 2.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• mine are 14 months apart and im so glad i had them so close together. they were able to grow up together and i went thru all the diapers, daycare, ect all at once. i totally recommend it. if i had waited a few years, no way would i have wanted to start over.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think my second was a lot easier than my first, just because I knew the ropes. Mine were 4 1/2 years apart and I liked being able to have the one-on-one time with my younger daughter when my older one was in school.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2010