Any idea on how to handle my daughter?

I'm at SAHM and I have a 15 month old daughter who has done a 180 overnight. This morning when I went to get her from her crib she was crying uncontrollably- a fearful cry. She has had a few bad nights in a row lately but nothing out of the ordinary. All day today she has been twice as clingy and if I try to put her down she screams in terror. She starts screaming and crying and when she looks at me she has fear in her eyes. When I pick her up she holds onto me so tight she nearly chokes me. She went down for a 2 hour nap okay today but I'm worried about how she will sleep tonight. It is 9pm and she was up at 7am- I just put her into bed but from 7a-9p today there was maybe 3 hours (besides the 2 hour nap) that she was NOT in my lap. What should I do? Do i need to take her to a pedi? Is this just a stage? I'm really confused, I've been through many stages with her but none where she has blatantly been terrified of something?

MommyBojo

Asked by MommyBojo at 9:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am at a loss. Good luck momma. Hope someone gives you some good advice.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• that sounds about right for separation anxiety. my middle child did that, and now he is the most independent of my 3! Just remember that this too shall pass.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• it sounds like either night terrors or seperation anxiety. Just be sure to comfort her as much as you can, but encourage her to play on her own knowing you are nearby. My DD never was that bad, if you are really concerned it doesnt hurt to contact your pediatrician.
    babystew

Answer by babystew at 9:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Sounds about like my son was (well.. he still gets like that from time to time and he's 18 months).. everything you described sounds like it exactly. I thought I was going to lose it some days because it seemed there wasnt a second I didnt have him on my leg, lap, shoulder. I think it's just a stage that some kids go through when they start to realize how much mommy means to them and fear that you will leave.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Thank you all very much- I was thinking it was separation anxiety because I'm home with her 6 days out of a week (I only work 1 day a week) but I wasn't sure because she screams at the top of her lungs when I put her down like she is afraid of something. I understand though- I have to be comforting and know that this will pass. I was just worried that she was terrified of something from the look in her eyes- but you have all made me feel more comfortable about this!! Thank you! :)
    MommyBojo

Comment by MommyBojo (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I was going to say separation anxiety too.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My twin girls are 15 months and sometimes they wake up screaming almost afraid. I think they are having nightmares. I hold them until they get over it. Sometimes they are clingy for a few days. I stick to my routine and just gve extra attention. I don't let them sleep anywhere but their own bed though. Don't want to start any bad habits.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2010