Does anyone know?

When you fill out birth certificate for your baby at the hospital does your baby has to have same last name as eather parent? My last name is very long so I really want to drop few latters at the end besides that sound much better, Is it legal?

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• no that is not legal to just make up a name

what's wrong with the father's last name?
    Anonymous

• i am fairly certain you can choose the last name, it doesn't have to be yours or your partners
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Well nothing is wrong with it,but like I said before it's long and hard to pronounce (It's russian) so people always miss spell it , so I thought I'll make it easyer for the baby
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i think ur allowed to name ur baby whatever u feel like writing down no one is going to argue but i dont know for sure until i get there in a few weeks
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I just had my son in May an dhwen I reading the paper work it stated that could choose anyone first middle and last name for my child even if the lst name was not the same as mine or my childs father's last name.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I think you can choose whatever name you want, but I'd think pretty hard about it before deciding to do that. Your child may WANT to have the same last name as her parents, whether it's difficult to spell or not.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 12:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'm with Winkie...you can change, hypenate, or completely use something different if you want, but that's some pretty awesome heritage you're passing on...don't short change your child's name without a lot of thought...it might be a little challenging at first, but it's worth it.

~Mrs. Italian 10 letters that no one can pronounce right but I would'nt change it for the world
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 1:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I have a really hard last name to. Its german. I would for the life of me never change it. Except for marriage. Im proud to be that heritage. Its Buchholz. The C is silent. its pronounced b-u holz. Like how bugle starts out. I tell people the C is silent so they call me buhhholes. Not funny. But I ignore it. Your child would probably like the same last name. Give it some thought.
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 3:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2008