JPII - Quote - Agree or Disagree?

"As the family goes, so goes the nation and so goes the whole world in which we live."
-Pope John Paul II

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 9:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Absolutely agree! The family is the nucleus of society!
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 10:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• For the most part, I agree.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think that oversimplifies things. There have been plenty of civilizations that have fallen, and world wars that occurred even in times when families were stronger and far more "traditional".

Perhaps there's more to the quote, and with the full context I'd have a different point of view, but as it stands by itself, I think it's weak.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• In a sense, yes. Especially if you think that the family should be a unit of support, a place where virtues like compassion should nurtured and nourished. Family is our greatest example of unconditional love in today's world - or at least it should be.... And unconditional love and grace is what most of the religious aspirations of the world are about....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yes, I do agree with that.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• He's JPII.
    There's nothing he says that I don't agree with.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• If you're not teaching love and tolerance and humor and kissing and hugging and happy smooshy cheeks at the dining table....there's not a lot of hope left for any of us.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I partly agree :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• agree & disagree. as a blanket statement its important to have strong families in order to have a strong community in order to have strong countries in order to have a strong world.

but (and maybe its just the source of the quote that makes me think along these lines) what is his definition of family & who gets to decide what kinda family is good or bad? there are messed up families in the traditional sense and there are great families in the non-traditional sense.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:03 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Being 100% dead serious, I loved JPll, he is one of my favourite historical figures and I unfortuately agree with this view 1000%.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 7:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2010