Do you cater to your family when it comes to meals?

I have a very picky eater that doesnt like anything and then everyone else of course has the things they dont like but in my house you either eat what I make or you dont eat. Obviously I do try to make things that my family likes but I refuse to make more than one meal each night to please everyone. And when we are having things that I know the kids wont eat (spicy chili for example) I will let them have something easy like chicken nuggets and fries or something.

foxracing43701

Asked by foxracing43701 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I agree with the OP. My mother catered to me and my sister when we were little and it got to the point where she was making 3 different meals for dinner every night. God Bless Her, but she was a SAHM and I work, so you eat what I cook and if not you can wait until breakfast. My stepdaughter was a very picky eater when I first met her (she was 5) and I held my ground and over the years (it took about 1 or 2 years) she's gotten to a point where she will eat whatever I make. Now that being said, I do try to make meals that I know the whole family will like, but on occasion I will make something that one child doesn't love, but they still eat it, albeit unwillingly. I think holding your ground teaches the kids to give different foods a chance and eventually some foods that they would never eat become favorites.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 9:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I always make sure I make one thing my son will eat at every meal. If he doesn't want what is made he eats cereal or a sandwich. I do NOT believe in not feeding a child, picky or not.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Not really. I also make sure there's something that they will eat. Otherwise they get a peanut butter sandwich that they can make themselves. Usually when it comes down to that, they at least try what it is they don't like.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My oldest is the pickiest one in our family and I am sure it is because we catered more to his likes. I try to make dinners everyone likes, but because I serve the food anyway, whether they like it or not, they end up eating it or going hungry. They don't like to go hungry so they eat it, most times after a couple of time eating it they end up liking it too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yes I cater. I have a fussy husband who wants what he wants and a son who is a picky eater. For sloppy joes my husband likes ketchup mixed in with hamburger and my son likes barbecue sauce mixed in with his hamburger. So my pound of hamburger gets split in half. One half with ketchup and the other half with barbecue sauce. And I eat whatever is leftover.

My son loves pancakes and my husband does not. So I'll fix pancakes for my son and eggs for my husband. And everybody eats the bacon.
    MommabearGrr

Answer by MommabearGrr at 9:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My 5 year old is picky too and if she doesn't like what we're having, she usually just wants scrambled eggs, cereal, or some sort of sandwich (tuna and pb&j her favorites). She'll usually nibble at whatever I've made, but if she doesn't eat a good portion I'll whip up something quick for her. I don't and wouldn't go out of my way to make a different meal for her though!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I try to fix meals that my two (husband and son) will eat, so I kinda cater to them, but I dont fix more than one dinner.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't cater, i just don't have the time. I make one meal and offer fruit. Either you eat it or you don't. If you can't try what is made you probably aren't very hungry anyway.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I make things I know my family likes. If we have something one of the kids doesn't like there is always soup, cereal, sandwiches or leftovers for them instead, but they have to take care of it on their own.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Im very picky and so is my ms, but I know what they don't eat so i make sure theirs something they eat, like said earily if its spicy i make them something different but mostly they eat whats served, if it something new they have to try it
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 9:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2010