Ghandi - Quote - Agree or Disagree?

"If Christians would really live according to the teachings of Christ, as found in the Bible, all of India would be Christian today."
-Mahatma Ghandi

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 10:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't know if India would be Christian, but i do know that there are many people who hide behind the veil of Christianity to spread their own version of evil.
    Then again, you see people like that in any religion.... It's my guess that humanity is at fault, not any particular religion.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think its a very poignant statement. It involves a lot of parts, I think, too. For example, India is predominantly Hindu, I think. Hinduism is a more inclusive, pluralistic kind of faith, one that is very compatible to what Jesus himself actually taught. And we have to realize that he isn't saying all of India would be the kind of Christian we see in the world - they would be the kind of Christian that "lives according to the teachings of Christ" - which actually can be taken two ways, since living according to what Jesus taught is something many people of other faiths do already, without necessarily being "Christian", and since the face of Christianity would be vastly different if people actually followed what Jesus really tried to teach us - IMO, at least, and I believe in his as well. So that face of Christianity would be one that would be even more compatible with the teachings of the rest of the faiths of the world...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yes and India is heading that direction. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think Xtianity today is so unlike the actual Jesus Christ that it's hardly even the same religion, and hardly based off of the same principles. I would hate for a country as culturally prosperous as India to be hampered by religious commandments people don't even follow anymore.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 6:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I already think the Hindu's of India are more christ like than the christians here in America.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:46 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have to disagree about the Hindu's of India being more Christlike than Christians in America (although I agree that there is a good portion of Christians who are in no way Christlike) Even though the Caste system no longer exists in the legal sense, it is still very much there in a social sense. If the Hindu's were indeed Christlike, they would treat ALL people equally and fairly and not base how they treat them on the social status in which they were born.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yeah... instead of following the words of Paul...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Agree, but his best is: Faith... must be enforced by reason... when faith becomes blind it dies.

Mohandas Gandhi

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Answer by older at 8:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

Mohandas Gandhi

Answer by older an hour ago
    *************************************************
    I LOVE those quotes! Thanks for posting them!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

No it isn't. 2% is a far cry from 100%.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2010