What do you think about the possible new law in California reguarding newborns not getting circumsized?

Lisa.Price

Asked by Lisa.Price at 10:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• A law preventing genital mutilation? YAY!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think government should stick to .laws governing keeping its citiznery safe from outside forces and leave child rearing to the parents.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think it is absurd. Its a choice, I don't want any government official telling me my child can't be circumcised or I will be fined or worse. That's just insane!
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• A link to the story?
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It's unconstitutional. Jewish law dictates that a healthy male child be circumcised on the eight day of life. The 1st Amendment states that the government shall not pass any law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit the free practice thereof. Prohibiting circumcision would prohibit the free practice of Judaism.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yet another one of California's stupid priorities. Perhaps if they focused legislative efforts on not going bankrupt, the state would be in a better position, and I wouldn't have left it!
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 10:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would love to hear more about this... If anything I can only assume they would make it a requirement. The medical community still tends to list it as a medical necessity and it creates a lot of money flow...

I believe it SHOULD be done. But I don't EVER believe the government should have the right to make that choice for anyone. It's something which should be up to the parents (who are hopefully willing to educate themselves about it) and never the government, no medical decision should.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• stupid! i live in cali, my son is circumcised, i'm prego with #3, if it's a boy he'll be circumcised too. i think it's unconstitutional, it is religious for a lot of people and that would be taking away religious freedom. it is a choice, it's no one's business how you decide to raise your kids. this practice has been around for thousands of years, the gov. needs to keep out of it!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think it's a personal choice and should remain so.

PS what ever happened to religious freedom?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Are you serious?? Doesn't California have enough problems to deal with right now????
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2010