Newborn HELP!

My breastfed newborn threw up a lot of milk. She's 3 weeks old and going through a growth spurt, nursing like crazy. Is it normal to throw up during a growth spurt? Shouldn't she be keeping that down? Could there be something else wrong? Could what I've been eating (grapefruits, tomatoes, peanut butter) be the problem--I read that these foods can cause trouble. Gah--I'm so worried about her! Did you follow a specific diet when breastfeeding? Could it be gas trouble? Or do all babies throw up sometimes? Sorry for the rambling. I'm so tired!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babies do get sick maybe her belly is to full and you said shes eating like crazy but i would check with the dr to see whats going on
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• was it just spit up? all babies spit up...some more than others. as long as it isn't projectile or ongoing then she'll be fine. check for fever, if she's acting fine and no fever then you don't really need to worry much about a flu. when i was breastfeeding then i limited caffine, no to some meds, no smoking, no alcohol but that's about it.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• its nothing to worry about, they will throw up time to time when they get to much to it, my daughter did that time to time to, and she is alomost two now, and just weaned herself .As long as she does not do it every time she eats its fine. dont worry momma :) there is a great breastfeeding group on here called I make Milk, join it, there are lots of moms on there that have been breastfeeding along time, and you can get some good awnsers from moms that now alot about breastfeeding :)
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 10:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• different food affect differently brocilli upset s3but not 2nd but 2 coyuldnt do red sauce , you just gotta watch them ,
    watch for pattern, maybe she just eat to fast

Yes babies throw up for no reason
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 10:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Is it just milk or is it puke? Check with your doctor if you're really concerned. It could be reflux or she could just be a spitter upper. Both of my BF babies spit up A LOT, and I was always concerned they weren't getting enough since they just seemed to throw it all up. But they were fine and gained weight just fine regardless.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Baby probably just over ate during the growth spurt and had a big spit up. i wouldn't worry at this point. If it happens a lot, certainly check in with the Dr. I doubt it is any of the foods you mentioned. In general, you can eat whatever you like. Check out the info at http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• it might be the grapefruits citrus fruits can sour your milk...not for everyone but in my experience (breastfeeding mom month 7) when i eat grapefruit or drink lemonade i have gotten projectile vomit from my baby ......try cutting them out of your diet and see what happens
    ericswifey247

Answer by ericswifey247 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Citrus fruits don't sour your milk. Spicy food doesn't make your milk taste hot. These are myths. Squirt a little milk in a cup and taste it. Human milk tastes really sweet and creamy-- even in moms who eat broccoli with curry.

Your LO has a tummy that only holds 2-3 oz at a time. But nursing is so much fun because it is delicious and it happens with Mommy, who is the bees knees of all people ever. So nursing is *the* cool thing to do when you're 3 weeks old. Some babies nurse and just over stuff themselves and then they urp it up in a huge scary way.

No fever, proper diaper count, no crying like she's sick... no problem.

I bet you had one of the barf-splosions. Terrifying. But normal.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• this is from babycenter and is a question answered by a lactation consultant

Should I drink orange juice if I'm breastfeeding?
    I've been told that orange juice isn't good for a breastfeeding mom. Is this true? Why?

Expert Answers
    Jan Barger, lactation consultant
    Orange and other citrus fruits are great for a new mom to eat and drink, but some mothers find that if they drink several large glasses a day, especially during a nursing session, the juice may bother the baby. For the first few months of your baby's life, her intestinal tract is immature and can be sensitive to large amounts of certain foods, including citrus. If you notice that she's unusually fussy or gassy, or is spitting up within a couple of hours of breastfeeding, try cutting back on citrus to a glass at breakfast, and drink water while you're nursing until your baby's intestinal tract is more developed, usually around 3 to 4 months
    ericswifey247

Answer by ericswifey247 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• every mom and baby is different you have to always go with your instinct
    ericswifey247

Answer by ericswifey247 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010