Which republicans will forgo their congressional benefit health insurance?

A group of House Democrats has released a letter to Republican congressional leaders calling on them to announce which of their members will be forgoing their congressional benefit health insurance (which is subsidized by the government) in light of their party's opposition to health care reform overhaul legislation.

"If your conference wants to deny millions of Americans affordable health care, your members should walk that walk," four Democrats write in the letter, which is addressed to Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell and House Republican leader John Boehner. "You cannot enroll in the very kind of coverage that you want for yourselves, and then turn around and deny it to Americans who don't happen to be Members of Congress."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20023107-503544.html

According to the letter, the federal government pays more than $10,000 of the premiums of each member of Congress who has a family policy under the most selected plan.

The signatories on the letter are four liberal lawmakers: Joseph Crowley of New York, Linda T. Sanchez of California, Donna Edwards of Maryland and Tim Ryan of Ohio. They sent a separate letter to other Democratic colleagues asking them to sign onto the effort.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• In their letter, the Democrats write they were "surprised" to see Harris complain that "there is a delay before benefits take effect. Ironically, this is the same predicament millions of Americans currently find themselves in."

"We also find it interesting that members of the Republican conference would have no problem taking away health coverage from hard-working Americans, but expect expanded coverage for themselves and their families," they add, writing that the health care reform bill gives Americans the option of selecting a plan in a manner similar to members of Congress.

sweet-a-kins

• I heard about this on the way home from work today....I do not see too many altruistic members stepping up-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yikes! I agree that they need to walk the walk,,,etc,
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yeah right. I'd love to see that happen.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Why should any member of congress walk away from it? I wouldn't walk away from a benefit of my job.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• in light of their party's opposition to health care reform overhaul legislation.
    ______________________
    They are opposed to THIS health care reform legislation. Please explain to me how that means they should go without health insurance. I don't see any of the democrats standing up and saying that Congress shouldn't be exempt from the hand they've dealt the American people.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• They're really comparing the Cadillac plans of Congress to the healthcare reform plans they were quoted as saying they wouldn't put their dogs on? C'mon now a little dramatic don't you think?
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

Because they are opposed to government sponsored health care for citizens

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

•  "We also find it interesting that members of the Republican conference would have no problem taking away health coverage from hard-working Americans, but expect expanded coverage for themselves and their families," they add, writing that the health care reform bill gives Americans the option of selecting a plan in a manner similar to members of Congress.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2010