How is Female Circumcision any different than Male Circumcision? adult content

I am not referring to the removal of the clitoris (for those of you who are confused about what female circ is, you should google it).

I wonder how you can classify it any differently than male circumcision- they are both forms of genital mutilation... But one is somehow socially acceptable in the states.

(BTW, the SAME reasons for female circ are sited, religious, cleanliness, aesthetics)

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 10:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Well, for starters, there are rarely negative effects to male circumcision, which is entirely different than when dealing with female circumcision, considering with females there is a huge risk of complications later on in life. There are also benefits to male circumcision, while there are none for females. That would have to be the largest difference. Not to mention, male circumcision is usually done in a sterile environment, with painkillers, whereas the places in which female circ's are done are usually not. The reasons are NOT the same.

If you'd like, I can outline the benefits of male circumcision and the risks for female circumcision, but above is my short answer.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Female Circ is done SOLELY as a way to control women. Male Circ is done as a way to cut down on infection. Females who go without are at a LOWER risk of infection and illness. While males who go without at actually at a higher risk... In fact males who do not have it done are at a 12fold higher risk of UTIs and are at a higher risk of death due to UTI complications in their first year of life (kidney, bladder & bone marrow infections mostly). Penile Cancer occurs 20 times more in men who are uncirced than in those who are. 50% higher chance of Prostate Cancer. And not having it done also increases by 2–4 fold the risk of thrush and sexually transmitted infections such as HPV, genital herpes, syphilis, chancroid, Trichomonas vaginalis and thrush. However female circs do NOT lower health risks in ANY category and raises the risk of sterilization, uterine, cervical & other vaginal infections...

BIG difference!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• And btw, the definition of mutilation is when someone is deprived of an essential body part or to cripple. My husband is circumcised, and let me tell you...his penis is mighty healthy and works just fine.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I am all for infants being circ'd. It is a lot less traumatic and dangerous then getting it done later in life. My DH had his done when he was 28 for purely his own purposes and he has always resented his mother for not doing it at birth.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Female circumcision is barbaric. There is a big difference between the two.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Very well explained, Sabrina...but I'd like to add a few things, such as...

Cervical cancer is higher in women who have uncirc'd partners, as the HPV virus thrives under the foreskin.

Balanitis, or inflammation of the glans, can be prevent by circumcision.

Phimosis is also not a risk in circumcised penis'.

Just to name a few.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• And...in comparison, female circumcision increases the risks that male circumcision gets rid of. How could the difference be any more apparent?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Which type of female circumcision are you referring to? There are four different types and they vary in severity. Removal of the clitoris is one of them.
    popcornlover

Answer by popcornlover at 10:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Thanks Loving... I would have added that and more, but the character limit simply didn't let me...

You know how anal I am about research on stuff like this... Which is why I don't understand that uprising against it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm not sure I understand the question? Removing the clitoris vs removing the tip of the penis?

Compare snipping off a micro of skin on the tip of a penis (which still works very well after) to mutilating a young girl - during the mostw extreme version of FGM - "nothing remains but the walls of flesh from the pubis down to the anus, with the exception of an opening at the inferior portion of the vulva to allow urine and menstrual blood to pass through".

Yup. Totes the same. Except more like - removal of the clit is exactly like making a eunuch. Which, as far as I know, is NOT that common in the states. Or anywhere. Ever.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2010