Did you grow up in a strict or lenient house?

Would you/are you raising your kids the same way?

My mom was no nonsense, we knew exactly where we stood and what was expected of us. She was lenient until you took advantage of that and then you knew you were in BIG trouble. There was no discussion, if you did this wrong you knew what your punishment would be.
I think kids like that stability.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I grew up pretty much like you Bubbie0809. We knew the rules and that was that. We talked about everything and I knew if I had a question or a problem I could go to my parents. I am raising my kids the same way. There were 4 of us growing up and we all turned out pretty good, if you ask me, so I think my parents did something right.

I have great memories from childhood and I want my kids to have the same.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It was strict. But that is okay. I am in good shape and trouble free because of that.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I grew up in a very strict house. We are raising our kids in a similar manner, however, my husband and I are a little more lenient than my parents. We set clear rules and expectations for the kids and they know what the consequences will be.
    mama10johnsons

Answer by mama10johnsons at 10:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My house was very lenient. I don't think I ever served a full punishment. If they said you are grounded for a week it was more like 5 hours.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Very - OVERLY - Strict.. And no, we are very very different!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My mom was very lenient and my dad was very strict with me, I'm the oldest. They were both very lenient with my sister, they should of been stricter with her. My kids know what is expected of them, but I'm not over the top.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My parents were a terrific mix of lenient and strict. They knew how to keep us in line, but were also merciful.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:22 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Home was pretty easy going. Dad worked nights so mom ruled the house. But if she said, 'I'm gona tell your father' you made some changes! I think I am pretty easy going on the kids. Maybe a bit too easy. I always think 'will it matter in 5 years'?
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2010