Santa is poor this year, feel bad. anyone else?

Our income has went from around 4600 a month to 2500 a month the past 6 mo. The mortgage is 3 mo behind and one car payment 2 mo behind. My dh started a new job today but its only 9.50. Lots of OT though. So hopefully the bills will get caught up, or we can tread until tax time. We can make it, its just getting caught up. Christmas is stressing me. I always tried to get my 2 boys as much as I could. My parents always went all out on xmas with the gifts from Santa. We didn't get a lot during the yr so Xmas made up for it. I usually spend around $300 per kid. Now even $100 is sounding rough, and that's not counting buying for my niece and nephews. I'm afraid they will notice Santa didn't leave much and not understand, or think they were bad or something. That might be a stupid fear but I feel terrible. I feel like I'm ruining their Christmas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• 3 small gifts is all the baby born in a stable received....
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Our Christmas is tight this year too, the first thing I did was call the family and say we will not be buying for anyone but our DD. We just don't have the money this year. I always get two things from Santa so this makes it easy each year she knows what to expect.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 10:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Well my kids don't know anything about santa. I'm going to lie to them and tell them there is some big fat guy who buys there gifts. They know its me. And well I have $100 to spend on my kids. No gift for DH or me or our nieces and nephews. DH was upset that I'm not getting his sister anything but shit I'm not getting anything for my side of the family either so I really don't feel bad. I do feel bad though that money is so tight and we have to have a construction paper christmas tree though.
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 10:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• We only buy for the kids and we are spending less than 100 per kid.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• We did a painted tree on construction paper one year and that was my kids favorite tree ever. Santa has always been stingy in our home. We bought the kids up to a certain amount depending on what we could afford and put the emphasis on us all enjoying the holiday. Santa always brought board games and some good movies for all to enjoy and that is how we enjoyed our day.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• TONY I have to say I love your answer
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 10:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• One year my husband was laid off before Christmas, and I hadn't purchased much for them yet because it had been a tough year already. I had snow tubes for each of them that I'd purchased for $5, and toys that I'd earned from a discovery toy party. The total of the gifts was less than $20 per child. I felt terrible about it. We baked cookies by the ton, did crafts and decorated the house. We blew up the snow tubes and put them out from Santa, and wrapped up the little gifts we had. We lived in the Los Angeles high desert, and it rarely snows there. We had planned on taking the kids to the mountain to use their snow tubes, but we woke up on Christmas morning to our 2 year old hollering that it had snowed. I was sure it was just frost on the ground, but it really had snowed.....heavily. We spent the day with the kids at the park a block away riding their snow tubes down the hill (somehow Santa had brought Christmas snow) .
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Anyway, my kids are grown, and they don't even remember that it was a tough Christmas financially, they remember baking with me, doing crafts, watching our favorite holiday movies, and sled riding. Plan special holiday time with them, and it may be one of your best Christmas's ever. As hard as that year was financially for us.....it's one of my favorite holiday memories.

Best wishes for a happy holiday season....and a better New Year.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm very for what you're going through. My DH is making half of what he used to make. I understand what you're going through. Do you attend a Church that could help out? I'm sure your Christmas will be just fine. I was very concerned last Christmas, but the kids had a great Christmas. Remember that things happen for a reason, and be thankful for what you do have.

Best Wishes!
    www.ErikaCarrillo.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:19 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Thanks guys. You all have given me some ideas. I really never thought about making any crafts or something like that. They would probably really enjoy doing some things like that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2010